CHILD'S *EK* ... finally i have an EK

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sweet man. Them hot parts look sick. That turbo is going to work effortlessly man.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Straight-piping through the hood? Why?!?
Running piping all the way back is unnecessary for me, cuts down weight, I prefer this visually, and not many have their up pipes clear the oem battery lIke mine. Just me being me again.

A]]Th!ngSound

Aspiring to Boost
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I wait on updates to your builds for what seems like forever lol.

Looking awesome as always!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Running piping all the way back is unnecessary for me, cuts down weight, I prefer this visually, and not many have their up pipes clear the oem battery lIke mine. Just me being me again.
The weight reduction must not be that drastic, but I understand that reasoning. What Im suprised about is that you welcome the obnoxious noise that this new set-up should create. That and it now allowing rain water, bird droppings, or other foreign matter to fall in from above. Does this mean its becoming a solely sunny-day mildly used ride? Any plan to add some type of stack flap?

This just demoralizes my feel for this build from here on out. Not that my opinion should hold weight to you, but this has been my favorite build to follow until that one decision so I gotta ask "WHY?!?". I didnt peg you as the "stack exhaust" type.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
The weight reduction must not be that drastic, but I understand that reasoning. What Im suprised about is that you welcome the obnoxious noise that this new set-up should create. That and it now allowing rain water, bird droppings, or other foreign matter to fall in from above. Does this mean its becoming a solely sunny-day mildly used ride? Any plan to add some type of stack flap?

This just demoralizes my feel for this build from here on out. Not that my opinion should hold weight to you, but this has been my favorite build to follow until that one decision so I gotta ask "WHY?!?". I didnt peg you as the "stack exhaust" type.
Have you never seen a hood exit exhaust before? It is something a little less typical for a "street car" then a full on drag build but still not all that uncommon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Have you never seen a hood exit exhaust before? It is something a little less typical for a "street car" then a full on drag build but still not all that uncommon.
Im well aware that thats not uncommon, but he stated before that he tends to like driving it often enough. Hence my question.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

the obnoxious noise....it'll be MUCH more quiet than the car currently is on a 3" straight through non resonated exhaust. So noise issues aren't an issue, I'm actually making it less loud. Rain and bird dirt aren't a factor when driving, and when it sits, which is when I drive it to work, the exhaust and dump can easily be covered, or leave it in the parking garage like I typically do. I don't purposely go out on rainy days anyway, no A/C and not being able to defrost the windshield easily is one reason why and my cold air intake sitting at the open hole in the spoon lip is sort of a no no. As far as being mildly used, hell no. I'll definitely be driving the car often like always.

Ultimately, I want the car on a road course. That's the main reason for most of my upgrades and the responsive turbo setup i've chosen.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the obnoxious noise....it'll be MUCH more quiet than the car currently is on a 3" straight through non resonated exhaust. So noise issues aren't an issue, I'm actually making it less loud. Rain and bird dirt aren't a factor when driving, and when it sits, which is when I drive it to work, the exhaust and dump can easily be covered, or leave it in the parking garage like I typically do. I don't purposely go out on rainy days anyway, no A/C and not being able to defrost the windshield easily is one reason why and my cold air intake sitting at the open hole in the spoon lip is sort of a no no. As far as being mildly used, hell no. I'll definitely be driving the car often like always.

Ultimately, I want the car on a road course. That's the main reason for most of my upgrades and the responsive turbo setup i've chosen.
Ah. I somehow missed in the 274 pages of this thread that this was straight-piped with no resonator, cat, or muffler. So how does this make it less loud?

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
it seemingly defies logic but a boosted car with a 3" straight pipe will be quieter than an all motor setup with the same exhaust. ive only ridden in a couple dif turbo bseries with a hood exit and they were both surprisingly less loud than i was expecting.

this one here...

IMG_4372 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

is actually quieter than my stock gsr with a 70mm skunk 2 exhaust...

IMG_4061 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Does that have to do with the increased speed of the exhaust due to the Turbo, reducing the typical rumble sound? This isn't something I'm familiar with so I had no idea.

A]]Th!ngSound

Aspiring to Boost
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Does that have to do with the increased speed of the exhaust due to the Turbo, reducing the typical rumble sound? This isn't something I'm familiar with so I had no idea.
I'm thinking along the lines of, exhaust is traveling through the hot side of the turbo which is partially muffling the typical sound of a 4 cylinder engine. Correct me if I'm wrong?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ah. I somehow missed in the 274 pages of this thread that this was straight-piped with no resonator, cat, or muffler. So how does this make it less loud?
I didn't say I didn't have a muffler, but it was straight piped, no cat ever, no resonator, 3" piping, to a ktuned small canister straight through muffler. The turbo setup, although hood exit, will still be more quiet than the muffled sound of my all motor setup. The turbo muffles the sound....a lot. You'll hear the turbo spool rather than an exhaust note.

this is all that was on the car for all motor. Nothing quiet about this at all. Especially revving over 9k.

I'm sure i'll eventually have video to show how much of a difference it makes. You can't even hear that my buddy's K20 turbo hatch is on when I turn mine on next to him.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not much has been going on, just waiting on some parts to come in to get the car rolling again and then back to slowly picking up parts for future boost.

I had more people than I expected asking me about the vband exit and turbine vband housing, so I snapped a couple of pics.

Money low, nothing new, nothing to polish, so I got a headlight restoration kit and went to work. Didn't take progress pics with my camera but I posted a before, during, and after on instagram. Spent maybe 30 minutes and the headlights look great now.

Finally got my 66mm vband turbine housing in from precision.

vband clamp dangling in place

Turbo mock up. The compressor housing is off to a local powder coater for a sort of chrome like finish. I couldn't resist shining.

Fitted the up pipe....unfortunately it's not quite how I was asking. I wanted it to clear the oem battery location....which is does, but the O2 bung is in a spot that makes it hard to connect and the up pipe, although it clears, its incredibly close to the battery. I'll either modify the up pipe the way I wanted it, basically straight up and out the hood, or give up on the idea and do a full length exhaust.

Some of these photos, well most of them make it look impossibly close, but it's not that bad, but it is uncomfortably close.

Started wiping down the car, starting from underneath it since I want to get it back on the road and drive-able. I miss driving the car. I only took it apart because I kept being unhappy with the car due to several little annoyances and I knew I'd just keep messing things up and never get around to fixing them if I were to keep driving it.

The everlasting debate....NA or FI. I'm going to keep both setups =) win win!

Of all things to show up first, it would be something I can't do anything with at the moment lol. New meat that I plan to demolish in no time. Nitto NT01 in 225/45/15. A few more things should arrive this week.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Got my lug nuts in. Tired of the neo-chrome Muteki's and I moved my Downstar spikes onto my TL.

Replaced my calipers with the updated and better dynapro 4pot calipers. I was going to use a 6pot version, but i'll try these out first.

[/url]

civic21911

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Got my lug nuts in. Tired of the neo-chrome Muteki's and I moved my Downstar spikes onto my TL.

Replaced my calipers with the updated and better dynapro 4pot calipers. I was going to use a 6pot version, but i'll try these out first.

[/url]
Love the progress. do you ever plan on doing a rear disc setup?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Love the progress. do you ever plan on doing a rear disc setup?
yes, a million pages back but hasn't been forgotten, i'll have the Wilwood 11" rear disc conversion. Just hasn't been very high on my priority list these few years.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
Those damn wilwood kits for the rear are more money that a lot of front bbk's. They would look pretty badass behind those wheels tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk