99 DX oil leak

TurtleSleeper

Hi guys, I'm new to forums and really doing repairs properly, instead of MCMing them on my own.

I've got a 99 DX coupe with a D16y7 engine (auto trans). Just about to reach 280,000kms and I'm noticing that I am needing to add almost a full oil change worth of oil after 6-8000kms. normal driving of 100kms/day (mostly highway). I don't have any drops on my driveway, so I'm assuming it's only leaking while the engine is running and pressurized. I don't have any power loss and it seems to run well.

When looking underneath, I have a lot of spent oil built up around my alternator pulley and thus the oil pan.

I have got a new pan gasket but I'm guessing that's not the main problem.

would like some input, if this is common and if there is more to it than a simple gasket.

Thanx for any insight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Otto85

Without pics we can only speculate on what is going on so with any questions pics will help a lot. But if it's only showing oil around your crank pulley down onto the pan my guess is the cam seal is shot. youll need to pull the valve cover and timing cover. To do so you need to remove the crank pulley to do so once those are off you can see what's going on, but if your new to repairs take it to a shop there's to much in that region that NEEDS a experts touch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I agree with Otto, but what makes you think its not the oil pan gasket if there is oil on it? And what do you mean by "MCMing"?

Otto85

I agree with Otto, but what makes you think its not the oil pan gasket if there is oil on it? And what do you mean by "MCMing"?
The oil pan gasket could be a cause of the oil leak but it's not the main leak as it would slowly leak oil and generally wouldn't lose all the oil from it, that much oil loss so fast would have to be higher up and given its only showing around the crank pully and pan that tells me it's the cam seal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk