Grr rear drums clicking noise

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hi guys I had my rear drum brakes replaced a few months ago. All new hardware, shoes, drums.

Now I'm hearing clicking noise at very low speeds.

Cleaned both drums and readjusted but the clicking persists. Have done this twice already. First time clicking stopped but only for a few miles before returning.

Here's some pics. Does anything look out of the ordinary? How much drag should the drum have for proper adjustment?

My ebrake stops at about 4-5 clicks and at the first click there's already some tension felt and heard by a creak sound

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Anyone? I've compared both sides and only difference I see is bottom return spring hooks aren't installed in the same way. Not sure if it matters? But the click sound seems to be coming from the passenger side (bottom half of the pic)

Krukowskid

Could you show us pics of your drums inside?
Are you sure that noise is coming from your brakes?
Do you hear that when car is lifted? It may be coming from suspension.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Could you show us pics of your drums inside?
Are you sure that noise is coming from your brakes?
Do you hear that when car is lifted? It may be coming from suspension.
It happens only when I apply the brakes at low speed around 20mph and stops as soon as I let off the brakes.

I can't replicate it when car is lifted or even just pressing the brakes stationary.

I'll post pics of my drums next time they're off

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Today noticed that the retaining pins are different lengths.

Aren't they supposed to be the same size?

RealtorJeff

Funny you would bring this up as I have a similar issue at these low speeds as well. The sound is in my back driver side but only when applying brakes at lower speeds and it is not a clicking but a rubbing, like the drum is warped? Just had this happen last week after all the rains we experienced in San Diego?

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
I don't have an answer to the problem but I had the same problem in my old EK. I did notice that whenever it would rain the noise would go away. Just thought I'd point that out maybe it'll help someone figure it out. Good luck.

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
High temp grease needs to be applied to the edges of the shoes where they slide on the hub. That can fix a lot of odd noises coming from drum brakes.