Tire rub issue, 17" on '00 ex coupe

Robert Chase

My 17" rims n 205/50/17 tires look really good on it but they rub in rear with more than just me in the car. I was told adjustable coil overs would help but unsure if they will let me adjust high enough to compensate/eliminate the rub. Also told could get upper strut spacers (of which i cannot seem to find any for my car). Anyone have any ideas as to how i can keep my 17's on my car and minimize the rub. Yes the wheels and tires raise the car prolly a couple inches of which i like the look and get alot of compliments on how it looks.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Since you seem to have no desire to change wheels, I suggest you roll the fenders because it looks like you probably rub at the side wall. You may want to consider a narrower tire as well at some point. If you have inspected where you may rub inside the wheel well then consider gently hammering in the abrasion area if the shape allows for it. Coilovers or any strut/spring set would need to create a higher than stock height or stiffer recoil so they dont go down as low, both of which require weight rating research.

Personally, I dont like those rims and 17s do not look good on these Civics so I feel it'd be better to go down to 16s and buy quality suspension parts instead of tweaking the car away from its comfort points to fit too large of a wheel. Raising it further also only allows for more body roll when turning. But to each their own.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
oh god, that looks terrible. ill tell you how not to scrub, put some nice 15's on it and throw those chrome garbage ass 17 inch wheels in the dumpster.

DeviousJuney

I have 17" rims and tires about the same size as you. change them. Im already having to pay of either dents or body work because of traveling on roads with unexpected bumps because of the stupid size wheels im running (Because im on a budget I need to wait till i get these 500$ 15" rims i want then spend another 500 or 400 for some good looking grip tires

saquon

If you keep them you'll have to raise the car or roll the fenders but 17 to big for a civic coupe 15or 16 would go good but it's your car

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You might be able to get away with a lower profile tire. I had 17's on my Civic when I was 16-17. I would not dare do that again though. My honest recommendation is to get smaller wheels.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
You have some options. Cheapeast and easiest are probably rolling/pulling fenders, taking the inner fender liners off, getting small tires, etc.
Like everyone has already said, 17s are too big for this year Civics, but to each his own. I've rocked both 15s and 16s personally and I'd never go any bigger than that.

Robotnick

I have 16's for my 2000 and found them too big, especially for stance. I was looking into buying 14's for it until i bought my new 93, which has 13's :D - I suggest going down a size if you can. and if not, decent fender flares + cutting back/rolling the stock ones.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
50 profile tires are way to big for civics in that size you'll need 30-35 profile tires to not rub, mind you most stock honda oem 15" wheels came with either 50 or 55 profile tires