04 civic Squeaking breaks

he_sai_

So my brakes squeaked when I first got the car and I changed the brakes and stuff. The problem continued and then I found out it was something else in the rear drum brakes. I cleaned the inside with brake part cleaner and it stopped for a week until it started squeaking again! It squeaks when I release the brakes. Any other idea on why it does this?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What was the "something else" in the rear drum(s)? Have you tried to adjust the rear brake shoes to ensure a firm fit on each side? If just one side is uneven then it could cause noise.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did you re-grease everything after you cleaned them ??? the return springs squeek if you release the brake when they need grease.

he_sai_

What was the "something else" in the rear drum(s)? Have you tried to adjust the rear brake shoes to ensure a firm fit on each side? If just one side is uneven then it could cause noise.
The something else was basically me changing the drum which have been worn out. And they're as firm as they can be. The one thing that bothers me is that there's a lot of rust I can't get rid of.

did you re-grease everything after you cleaned them ??? the return springs squeek if you release the brake when they need grease.
All I had at the time was the brake part cleaner.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Brake drum shoes should not be adjusted "as firm as they can be" but just firm enough to still allow some spin when the ebrake is disengaged.

As @lowlife9 suggested, grease the springs.

Those are two things you didnt do properly that both lead to potential noise.

he_sai_

Brake drum shoes should not be adjusted "as firm as they can be" but just firm enough to still allow some spin when the ebrake is disengaged.

As @lowlife9 suggested, grease the springs.

Those are two things you didnt do properly that both lead to potential noise.
That's what I meant

I'll try it in the morning though