Sound dampening my si

Jcat69

Has anyone put sound proofing in their floor panels. Just upgraded my sound system now need to address the road noise

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Please specify what you want to know. If it was worth it? What product was used? How to do it? There are many potential angles for this.

Jcat69

Please specify what you want to know. If it was worth it? What product was used? How to do it? There are many potential angles for this.
I was planning on using a combination of fatmat and high density pad. Wondering if this can be accomplished without removing the center console. I figured the lower side molding, kick panels and all seats would need to be removed.

I've already done the doors and truck which really helped with my mid bass response. Have to say that I'm pretty disappointed in the amount of road noise in this car. I've driven many different gen Honda civics and this one is one of the worst for noise.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So you want to reduce road noise to better hear your audio? What audio equipment did you install? What do you feel is allowing the most road noise? Do you mean you already installed fatmat and/or padding on the doors & trunk lid or sides? Try to response with more details because you continue to be a bit vague.

Jcat69

So you want to reduce road noise to better hear your audio? What audio equipment did you install? What do you feel is allowing the most road noise? Do you mean you already installed fatmat and/or padding on the doors & trunk lid or sides? Try to response with more details because you continue to be a bit vague.
I installed higher end focal mid and tweets up front powered by a 2 channel R. F. Amp wired pre amp with their own crossovers and a couple high end JL 10" subs with a separate R. F. Amp in the trunk. Doors and trunk are done with a dynamat similar product so the audio is crisp and clean and sounds awesome! Just have to turn it up to drown out the road noise. I'm an older guy that drives truck and is around noise constantly so there are times I'd like to enjoy my tunes at lower volume.
I believe I'm getting most of the road noise through the floor. A combination of stock low pros and too many people leaving their studded tires on too long up here tearing the road up. I realize that changing tires will help but want to put that off a bit and at least wear these out a little. The car only has 5k miles on it.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ah, good audio choices. Why didnt you do the rear speakers?

Someone please confirm this, but I believe Ive heard that these Civic are commonly known to have road noise issues. Im not familiar with this gen. but I would think matting the floor & possibly spray deadening the wheel wells, atleast the rear, should help.

For what its worth, Ive used NVX deadener and have been very satisfied with the quality & results and theyre less expensive than Dynamat.

Jcat69

Ah, good audio choices. Why didnt you do the rear speakers?

Someone please confirm this, but I believe Ive heard that these Civic are commonly known to have road noise issues. Im not familiar with this gen. but I would think matting the floor & possibly spray deadening the wheel wells, atleast the rear, should help.

For what its worth, Ive used NVX deadener and have been very satisfied with the quality & results and theyre less expensive than Dynamat.
Thanks I'll check into that product.
Yes.... You heard correct. I've driven civics from the mid 80's thru today and they've all had some issues with road noise. Just find this one to be worse but.... It's the first I've had with lo pro tires and I've only recently moved to Washington where the roads are rough due to studded tires. Both factors contribute to the existing problem.

There are a few reasons I decided not to do the rear speakers. I have a coupe and just the bride and I in the car now. The front stage is impressive and has the high to mid low range covered quite well from the " in your face side". I didn't want competing ranges coming from behind just the bass to smack the back of your head lol. I removed the rear speakers to give me a couple ports for the subs in the trunk into the cabin. The stock " free air" 8" is disconnected presently, deciding if I'm satisfied with the system at this point. Sounds pretty good but haven't had enough time at home to finish sound dampening and get some time behind the wheel to determine whether or not it's lacking in some area I. E. If there are any flat spots in the system that need to be addressed.