96 EK Wont Start: Fuel Injector Issue?

Jae'Von

Hey guys, im very new to this forum. So If I posted this topic in the wrong place my apologies. Here's my issue. I have a 1996 ek hatch with a d15b7 in it. The ek hatch was an auto which i swapped to manual. I kept the original wiring harness. I plan to switch it to a manual one soon. Im running a P06 ecu with a OBD2a to OBD1 jumper harness of course. Yes im sure your thinking why put a d15b7 (OBD1) into a 96 (OBDII) car? its all I had and the i got the car as a shell.

I recently put a new fuel pump in. The car gets fuel all the way up to the fuel filter and all the way thru the fuel rail so getting fuel is not an issue. I also have tested for spark and I have that as well. When i spray started fluid the motor wants to start but dies down when I stop spraying the fluid. I know im having an injector issue.

Now, where it is coming from I dont know. I tested each injector for 12v at the black and yellow wires and it reads 12v when the key is on ACC. Now, as far as the ground I havent tested the grounds for the injectors. I kept the original obd2 injectors so that I wouldnt have to change any wiring around.

I am using the obd1 dizzy for the motor with a obd2a to obd1 dizzy jumper that I got from RyWire.com. I have replaced the main relay. I think it may have something to do with the ecu not being able to read the cam/crank sensor causing the injectors not to pulse. I have even taken the injectors out to see if they would spray gas and nothing when I cranked it over.

I also changed the spark plugs. The old ones were not even wet. I am lost here and would like you guys help, any advise or suggestions you guys could give me would help alot! Thank you so much in advance guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If youre using an OBD2 ECU instead of the corresponding ECU to that engine then thats probably the issue. If not then it might be a wire harness incompatability issue. Have you tried pulling any CEL codes?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If youre using an OBD2 ECU instead of the corresponding ECU to that engine then thats probably the issue. If not then it might be a wire harness incompatability issue. Have you tried pulling any CEL codes?
He's using a P06 ODB1, the correct ECU for that engine.

But absolutely, OP, see if you can pull the CEL codes. You'll need to jump the service connector over by the kick panel and get the CEL via blink codes.

Do you have ODB1 injectors? I would check that you've wired them to the ODB2 harness correctly. Or, get ODB2 injectors.

That wiring harness should work, you'll just have extra sensor wiring such as secondary o2 sensor, ckf sensor, etc.

Jae'Von

Hey man thanks for your reply, im using the ecu that is for the motor with a obd2 to obd1 jumper harness. I am using OBD2 injectors, OBD1 Dizzy w/ obd2 to obd1 conversion harness, OBD2 alternator. It may be that and I did try to pull the codes and I get a code for the O2 sensor but thats because one of the wires on my ecu isnt connected because I couldnt pin it back into the conversion harness connector. Im pretty sure that wire is for the o2 sensor because I looked up a wiring diagram and it goes to the o2 sensor. So im going to plug that up. I will upload a pic to show you what Im talking about in a couple of minutes.

Jae'Von

He's using a P06 ODB1, the correct ECU for that engine.

But absolutely, OP, see if you can pull the CEL codes. You'll need to jump the service connector over by the kick panel and get the CEL via blink codes.

Do you have ODB1 injectors? I would check that you've wired them to the ODB2 harness correctly. Or, get ODB2 injectors.

That wiring harness should work, you'll just have extra sensor wiring such as secondary o2 sensor, ckf sensor, etc.

Youre exactly right sir. I am running OBD2 injectors. I pulled the codes and got the O2 sensor but like I said I think its because I dont have one wire plugged into the obd2 to obd1 conversion harness, I looked up the pinouts and thats what it goes to, would that cause an issue as far as the injectors? Im getting two clicks from the main relay and the thermostat ground wire for the ecu has been cleaned, sanded, and grounded. I have the tranny ground, valve cover ground, and even a ground for the alternator. I read something about the OBD1 dizzy, and how there is a CYP sensor in there? And I know OBD2 civics had the CKP sensor by the oil pump. My question is how could the injectors know when to pulse/noid with the obd1 dizzy on the obd2 harness? Thats what im thinking my problem is but I dont want to just make assumptions without the proper testing, but thats just my guess from right now.

Jae'Von

can anyone point me in the right direction or give any advise? I just got a new dizzy and I am going to put it on tomorrow to see if that helps at all.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What have you done about reconnecting that O2 wire?