97 civic mods?

BMoj9299

Hi I'm new to all of this but I have a 97 civic EX. I unfortunately have an auto but my dad has a 96 lx civic that is a manual he may be giving me but it's not certain so I was wondering what all I could do to mine. I've already put an MSD distributor cap and rotor on with NGK spark plugs and wires. There is also a flamethrower ignition coil on it as well. I also have a cold air intake. Is there anything more I could do on a budget to get more power out of my car?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
None of that has given your car any power anyways, regardless of it being automatic which is worse for performance. As you would find with a little research, automatic Civics are designed for efficiency and reliability and will not yield much improvement without extensive costly upgrades that an automatic will not justify.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Best bang for your buck would be a manual swap and get a good gear ratio, most go for ex/Si d16 transmissions. After that nothing will really help your civic unless you have money for forced induction or really deep pockets for N/A power. If you take your time and find deals you can be turbocharged for under $2000 with quality parts

BMoj9299

Best bang for your buck would be a manual swap and get a good gear ratio, most go for ex/Si d16 transmissions. After that nothing will really help your civic unless you have money for forced induction or really deep pockets for N/A power. If you take your time and find deals you can be turbocharged for under $2000 with quality parts
What's the ball park price range on doing a manual swap? Also what all would I need to do it.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have no idea, never done one myself. I would guess a few hundred if you go to pick and pull and get all the lines and the clutch pedal and master cylinder (probably want a new master though) and shift linkage. I personally would buy a new clutch for the install, then if you want a short throw shifter you might want to do it while everything's going in so that costs extra to.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
probably run about 600-800 even close to 1000 depending on how much you get all your stuff for. you'll need trans, ecu( for painless plug and play setup) axle, shift linkages, and flywheel and clutch along with manual flywheel bolts( auto ones are to short), slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder, lines, and manual transmission mount