"Kurisutin" - 1993 Civic Del Sol - Maintenance Log

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A few things:

1- My guess is you took a picture of the new radiator cap because it reminds you of a completed project :thumbs up

2- That drain bolt definitely looks snapped. Hopefully that fragment was somehow removed externally and it didnt fall inside. I would blame all that rust on someone using water instead of a 50/50mix. Either way, the rust may also be internal surface rust for water usage.

3- Being that you're mulling over whether or not to keep the delSol and considering the engine rebuild, consider a beefier engine swap instead and take your learning experience to a more fun level to maximize your efforts towards the delSol, making a discernible option to your other car. Buying another engine and the needed components could cost around the amount you might spend to rebuild the current engine.

4- Before you keep sticking on decals, consider buffing out that clear coat to make the paint look as good as it can. Even if you plan to ditch this project, at least that should help resale value.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You make a lot of sense, HeX :D Thanks

I wanted to take a day or two and see if I could settle my thoughts on this, but still haven't arrived anywhere. Even with the basic maintenance that I've done so far, working on either of my cars has always been rewarding; I love cranking the engine after changing something and seeing that things are better for it. But I feel like the last college student on Earth who lives at home, and I keep being reminded that it's going to be harder to move and be independent while paying for two cars..

An engine swap sounds like the most realistic option, but I've always been efficiency minded, and putting a bigger engine in for the sake of it will bug me. Actually, ever since I decided to study as a computer engineer I've wanted to make an electric vehicle, and del sols are one of the more popular platforms for EV conversions... But again I'd be removing a working engine, and even though the local region is big on hydroelectric power (so the car wouldn't "run on coal"), the batteries I'd have to use supposedly aren't much better for the environment. That and doing an EV build the right way is hugely expensive..

Either of those plans would have to wait over a year for me to wrap up my degree and start working full time.

I'll pick up a replacement drain bolt, other than that I'm not sure what to do about it.

The clear coat is gone everywhere except for the door panels. I gave it a heavy wash and wax with a buffer pad a few weeks ago, but the only difference it brought was the swirls that I can't seem to remove. I'm actually pretty happy with it as is, and would probably try painting it myself if it came to that. What does bug me is the bent frame up front, not the dents and scratches, though my opinion goes out the window if I try to sell it.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I get your perspective, Ctag. I will add that a bigger/sportier Honda engine would likely get better MPG being in a lighter and smaller vehicle. Either way, you must make the best decision you can while in your situation. I hope my points help make your decision more clear.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's a good point about the larger engine still getting reasonable gas mileage. I'm looking to move soon, and if the car makes it through the next few months of turmoil, then I'll focus back in on trying to find something special to make of it.

Pulled the instrument cluster apart to clean contacts, in case that was the cause of the dead speedometer.

No change.

And yesterday a friend and I replaced the fuel pump "sock" with a new one. I figured that 23 years or so of use was enough to warrant it.

The tank's pretty clean, no rust at least.

Then I tried washing the driver side seatbelt to see if it will retract any better. I don't want to cash in on the Honda seatbelt warranty for something that's mostly just an annoyance, at least not yet.

I also tried removing the belt from the reel and then turning it backwards a few turns to put more force on the spring, but it didn't seem to like that. The end result is that the seatbelt works just a tad better than it did before :roll: At least now it's clean.

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hell the car has a million miles on it, in pretty rough shape, if i were in your position id take honda up on the free belts lol ;)

itzrivera

I'm willing to best the speedometer is one of the wires on the VSS plug. Check the VSS plug and make sure all 3 wires are pressed in all the way into the plug.

Dimorphic

Hi,

I just read the issues and change log you did and I can say that we have a few similar things we've done on our cars as well, like changing oil, oil filter, fuel filter, radiator hose, etc... And I can say that I have a long way to go. But thank you very much for posting these things as to help me improve my car to a decent state.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hi,
I just read the issues and change log you did and I can say that we have a few similar things we've done on our cars as well, like changing oil, oil filter, fuel filter, radiator hose, etc... And I can say that I have a long way to go. But thank you very much for posting these things as to help me improve my car to a decent state.
You know, that makes all of the pictures and posting worthwhile :D I'm glad it was helpful.

Hell the car has a million miles on it, in pretty rough shape, if i were in your position id take honda up on the free belts lol ;)
Well when you put it like that.. :lol: To follow up, now that the belt has dried, it works consistently again, and doesn't leave the belt lumped in the driver seat :thumbup: We'll see how long that lasts, I might be visiting the dealer yet.

I'm willing to best the speedometer is one of the wires on the VSS plug. Check the VSS plug and make sure all 3 wires are pressed in all the way into the plug.

Still haven't put the trim back in, still haven't ordered a new fuel pump, still haven't fixed the speedo. I move into my new place next weekend, things are probably going to be crazy until that's over.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Trim's back in the car. I accidentally let it rain while the top was off, but things dried out alright.

Changed the oil yesterday with O'Reilly's brand 5W-30. Forgot to change the oil filter, but the one that's in there is a Bosch Premium, so I'm confident it'll be OK until the next change.

Also changed the MTF for Valvoline GM Synchromesh. I realize that I just changed the MTF for genuine Honda MTF only half a year ago, but I was concerned about how clean it was, and wanted a chance to see what was being flushed out. Turns out the fluid I removed was super clean, no gunk or metal, which is nice.

This last semester of college is being a huge pain, I'm constantly lost for time to get assignments done and papers written. This'll likely be the only progress until school's over.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Patched a nail hole in two tires, cue an exasperated "So that's why they've been leaking..."

Flushed the brake lines with fresh DOT-3. The peddle feels a lot more "normal" now, not so squishy.

Probably going to do some general scrubbing on it later today.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, it's been a fun ride. I brought this car home less than a year ago with the intent of learning how to do more maintenance and repair. I didn't get around to pulling the engine, but over the past several months I've learned a lot, and had a pretty good time to boot. I sold Kurisutin earlier today and brought back a 1996 Yamaha Virago 250.

Some pictures on the way out the door:

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Pretty much, haha. I've wanted a motorcycle for years, but to be honest now that I have one I'm totally terrified of it. There's a big difference between screwing around on a farm with dirtbikes and being on a road around cars and trucks.