Manual Transmission Flush: Options

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Would you say it worth using over just regular 10w30 or have you never ran just motor oil?

I'll be changing my fluid soon. I don't have any grinds or problems so I was thinking motor oil will be fine for me. I do hear syncromesh helps make it buttery smooth though.

s**t, I forgot I've commented on it already, nevermind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As you can previously read, I personally wouldn't run motor oil in a tranny unless it was a temporary urgent need. Motor oil might suffice but thats not enough to sway me while all the info about using the Synchromesh is positive, including my current experience with it. To me, motor oil seems like an option for the cheap and short-sighted.

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
As you can read in the link I provided, I personally wouldnt run motor oil in a tranny unless it was a temporary urgent need. Motor oil might suffice but thats not enough to sway me while all the info about using the Synchronesh is positive, including my current experience with it. To me, motor oil seems like an option for the cheap and short-sighted.
I don't know. The fella over at Honda tech swears by it. Obviously you wouldn't run it as long as the syncromesh but from what I remember the earlier trannys called for it.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't know. The fella over at Honda tech swears by it. Obviously you wouldn't run it as long as the syncromesh but from what I remember the earlier trannys called for it.
I will add that I've never read motor oil making a tranny run better but you can find plenty of testimonials stating the Synchromesh FM has improved tranny function. That says enough for my choice. That, and whether or not you want to spend $8-$16 in motor oil or $25-$40 in synchromesh towards the health of your tranny for the next 40k+ miles? The choice comes down to your personal preference on what opinions and testimonials you chose to follow along with what you're willing to spend.

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah until someone has first hand experience. I'm sure you've seen both sides of the arguement. People say syncromesh helps solve problems and some say it just hides your problem until failure. Either way neither will fix it. Motor oil may work an keep a tranny healthy with regular changes but syncromesh might make a problematic tranny a bit easier to deal with.

I won't use motor oil until I move into my house and can change all that in the garage. I hate not having a flat area to jack my car up at my apartment.

Restotech

Respected
When these cars were made they did say to use motor oil, however since Honda created mtf, they say to use mtf. That being said I have used synchromesh and the trans did benefit from it. I would recommend it.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah until someone has first hand experience. I'm sure you've seen both sides of the argument. People say syncromesh helps solve problems and some say it just hides your problem until failure. Either way neither will fix it. Motor oil may work an keep a tranny healthy with regular changes but syncromesh might make a problematic tranny a bit easier to deal with.
I agree that no fluid can correct mechanical wear but can significantly lessen the wear process, as does synchromech which is why the "hide the problem" theory is more of a misstatement.

When these cars were made they did say to use motor oil, however since Honda created mtf, they say to use mtf. That being said I have used synchromesh and the trans did benefit from it. I would recommend it.
I didnt know that about motor being recommended early on. That explains some of the theories behind suggesting motor oil.

Back when I replaced the MTF on my Civic I had the worst time trying to find Honda MTF to use.. All the while there was Synchromesh stocked locally. I think I may do a flush with Synchromesh and then migrate over to it at my next MTF change.
For what its worth, if you plan ahead you can order both quarts of synchromesh and have them shipped all for the cost of 1 quart in local retail.

lurice01

i have a 95 honda civic ex. the service manual calls for 10w-30 oil to be used in a manual transmission. Then in the 96 civic service manual the manual transmission calls for Honda Genuine MTF. I use Honda Genuine MTF in my 95 civic because 2016 10w-30 oil is surely nothing like 1995 10w-30 motor oil.

I don't see in this post anywhere listing the crush washer sizes for the fill plug hole and the drain plug hole. What would the sizes be for my 95 civic? i think the drain is 14mm...

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks to using Google... https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=518150

"the auto drain plug washer size is 18mm, part# 90471-PX4-000. fill is through the dipstick.
the manual fill plug washer is 20mm part# 94109-20000
the manual drain plug washer is the same as the engine oil drain plug, 14mm, part# 94109-14000"

That pertains to 6th gens but I believe they're the same for 5th gens as well.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
i have a 95 honda civic ex. the service manual calls for 10w-30 oil to be used in a manual transmission. Then in the 96 civic service manual the manual transmission calls for Honda Genuine MTF. I use Honda Genuine MTF in my 95 civic because 2016 10w-30 oil is surely nothing like 1995 10w-30 motor oil.

I don't see in this post anywhere listing the crush washer sizes for the fill plug hole and the drain plug hole. What would the sizes be for my 95 civic? i think the drain is 14mm...
thats because Honda didn't make MTF until 1996, its why your service manual for 92-95 civic says to use 10w30 regular motor oil. All the oil made nowadays have very little to no zinc content which is actually what we do need to keep these motors from wearing down too rapidly