Engine opinions: 1995 Civic

GEORGIA

So, I currently have a 95 dx with the d15b motor and a pm-3 head. when I bought the car it had just recently had this engine put in it and I was told it was from the ex. ive been looking around and mulling a few ideas around on what I would like to do to her. I would like to keep daily driver for a little while but eventually want to put her on the strip and let me wife run her. I am a mildly experienced mechanic, but have been working on old school chevy's mostly but am looking into the Honda scene seeing how I have 2 civics hahaha. so I was just looking for some opinons and insights to a good motor. now everyone says go dohc but I would like to do something a little different and stay sohc. ive looked into the mini me swaps but im not sure that's what I want to do. I have already decided with it being a used motor I would want to go through the bottom end and rebuild it. but what do you guys think would be good set up motor wise for just a little fun on the road? besides basic bolts ons ofcourse. thanks in advance for any info.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There is plenty of posted info about virtualy every engine swap available for your Civic. Continue researching it and you should find a few common choices. State your performance goals and budget range to increase your chances at more helpful responses, but research will go a long way.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So, I currently have a 95 dx with the d15b motor and a pm-3 head. when I bought the car it had just recently had this engine put in it and I was told it was from the ex. ive been looking around and mulling a few ideas around on what I would like to do to her. I would like to keep daily driver for a little while but eventually want to put her on the strip and let me wife run her. I am a mildly experienced mechanic, but have been working on old school chevy's mostly but am looking into the Honda scene seeing how I have 2 civics hahaha. so I was just looking for some opinons and insights to a good motor. now everyone says go dohc but I would like to do something a little different and stay sohc. ive looked into the mini me swaps but im not sure that's what I want to do. I have already decided with it being a used motor I would want to go through the bottom end and rebuild it. but what do you guys think would be good set up motor wise for just a little fun on the road? besides basic bolts ons ofcourse. thanks in advance for any info.

Mini-me swap = waste of time. I did this swap - not worth it.

There's a reason that most people swap to DOHC... the single bangers in these cars are made for fuel economy and nothing more. Unless you go the forced induction route (turbo), you will be disappointed with an SOHC motor unless you drop some serious cash into building it. Basic bolt ons, such as intake, header, exhaust, do virtually nothing other than change the sound of your car.

I recommend a B18 GSR motor... bolts right up (for the most part), and it will be much, much more impressive than a mini-me swap.

If you're looking for even more get up and have a bit for $ to spend, look into K-series swaps. They're still fairly uncommon (compared to the B series swaps), and you'll get plenty of power out of one.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Mini-me swap = waste of time. I did this swap - not worth it.

There's a reason that most people swap to DOHC... the single bangers in these cars are made for fuel economy and nothing more. Unless you go the forced induction route (turbo), you will be disappointed with an SOHC motor unless you drop some serious cash into building it. Basic bolt ons, such as intake, header, exhaust, do virtually nothing other than change the sound of your car.

I recommend a B18 GSR motor... bolts right up (for the most part), and it will be much, much more impressive than a mini-me swap.

If you're looking for even more get up and have a bit for $ to spend, look into K-series swaps. They're still fairly uncommon (compared to the B series swaps), and you'll get plenty of power out of one.
i remember those good old days doing the mini-me swaps on the cheap.... that s**t was still ass tho even after all that work. lol the only SOHC motor that made as much power as the DOHC stock and gained as much power as the DOHC motors did with the basic bolt ons are f22b1/2 from the accord models.( has hell a lot of a torque too over the 1.5/1.6 d series)