04 civic stock lost race to 2011 sentra

Chacon

So I just got this car and its really nice looking but its so slow I really want to turbo it even if its low boost but I'm just concerned about reliability and how strong the d17 engines are ?
Just really bummed out about losing to a sentra lol

lunder03

Respected
So I just got this car and its really nice looking but its so slow I really want to turbo it even if its low boost but I'm just concerned about reliability and how strong the d17 engines are ?
Just really bummed out about losing to a sentra lol
No need to be bummed...it's a dohc vs a sohc...aside from that the Sentra has two engine options. The 2.0 & 2.5...one pushing about 140hp at the crank and the 2.5 about 200hp at the crank.

Unfortunately our 1.7 sohc only pushes about 127hp at the crank.

If you only lost by a little then smile...otherwise, yeah go spend about $3,000 or more for a decent turbo set-up...or, go buy an K20 motor and drop it in...I promise with the k20 all the sentra's will eat your dust. Aside from that K20's have so much more potential and so many more after market parts.

I've read around on some other websites and found out an individual beefed up a 1.7l v-tec and was able to produce 489whp...i imagine this had taken a lot of money and I do mean a lot...more than likely was running NOS too on top of turbo, bigger cams, port & polish, oversized lifters, crank, injectors, k-pro, etc. Yeah, if I had $20k or more just begging to be burned I might give it a try.

Otherwise, go k20 spend $10k and have who knows how many ponies? 600-900???

Just so you know, you'll have to swap out your intake manifold if you wish to run boost of any psi...the plastic manifold on our 1.7l just cannot handle it.

You can swap it with a y8 intake manifold off a older honda or buy a skunk2...I recommend the y8 if you want to save money...any junk yard or even ebay and craigslist will have them. Otherwise go to amazon and get a skunk2.

If you go y8 bear in mind there'll be slight modification needed for your fuel rail...not certain about the Skunk2.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

Chacon

No need to be bummed...it's a dohc vs a sohc...aside from that the Sentra has two engine options. The 2.0 & 2.5...one pulling, about 140hp at the crank and the 2.5 about 200hp at the crank.

Unfortunately our 1.7 sohc only pushes about 127hp at the crank.

If you only lost by a little then smile...otherwise, yeah go spend about $3,000 or more for a decent turbo set-up...or, go buy an K20 motor and drop it in...I promise with the k20 all the sentra's will eat your dust. Aside from that K20's have so much more potential and so many more after market parts.

I've read around on some other websites and found out an individual beefed up a 1.7l v-tec and was able to produce 489whp...i imagine this had taken a lot of money and I do mean a lot...more than likely was running NOS too on top of turbo, bigger cams, port & polish, oversized lifters, crank, injectors, k-pro, etc. Yeah, if I had $20k or more just begging to be burned I might give it a try.

Otherwise, go k20 spend $10k and have who knows how many ponies? 600-900???

Just so you know, you'll have to swap out your intake manifold if you wish to run boost of any psi...the plastic manifold on our 1.7l just cannot handle it.

You can swap it with a y8 intake manifold off a older honda or buy a skunk2...I recommend the y8 if you want to save money...any junk yard or even ebay and craigslist will have them. Otherwise go to amazon and get a skunk2.

If you go y8 bear in mind there'll be slight modification needed for your fuel rail...not certain about the Skunk2.

Well I know for sure I lost to a 2.0 and I was winning but once I was in 3rd gear the sentra started pulling, but I mean has any one done a low boost like eBay kit ?
If so how did that work out ?

lunder03

Respected
Well I know for sure I lost to a 2.0 and I was winning but once I was in 3rd gear the sentra started pulling, but I mean has any one done a low boost like eBay kit ?
If so how did that work out ?
Yes, a few on here have...you'll have to do a search throughout the forums...you're still going to have to swap out you're intake manifold no matter how low your boost pressure.

Make sure you're not asking questions that have already been answered on other forums before you post questions...a lot of members tend to get ornery and pissy...just a heads up.

To me, I don't care as it just means more material to find faster; especially if the answers to the questions are the same.

Good luck.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what model is your car ?? if its a dx/lx/vp you can swap on a ex head and ecu,intake,header,exhaust then use a stage one camshaft to gain around 50/60 hp. that would be the cheapest way to go if you do the work yourself. Your lucky its not an automatic or you would really be slow.

Last edited:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no rpm gauge, roll up windows,
It's a Dx model then.

The 7th gen Civic (01-05) is the bastard of the family and biggest waste of money as far as "go fast" mods go.
Better off buying a RSX or even the EP3 Civic, at least you start off with a K series engine.

lunder03

Respected
what model is your car ?? if its a dx/lx/vp you can swap on a ex head and ecu,intake,header,exhaust then use a stage one camshaft to gain around 50/60 hp. that would be the cheapest way to go if you do the work yourself. Your lucky its not an automatic or you would really be slow.
Is it posdible to go with a stage II cam as well without having to upgrade the engine internals i.e. springs & retainers? If so, how many ponies might I expect to gain? I did some quick research and found stage I, II, & III cams are the same price.

Thank you in advance. :-)

It's a Dx model then.

The 7th gen Civic (01-05) is the bastard of the family and biggest waste of money as far as "go fast" mods go.
Better off buying a RSX or even the EP3 Civic, at least you start off with a K series engine.
I'm not doubting you, but I thought the EX was the only model with cooler looking rear bumper cover?

I have the EX model just a year newer than the gentleman above and we have the same bumper cover.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chacon

I'm not doubting you, but I thought the EX was the only model with cooler looking rear bumper cover?

I have the EX model just a year newer than the gentleman above and we have the same bumper cover.

Mine has like an after market body kit not to extreme but looks a bit nicer, just curious what mods do you get from yours I feel like mine are too low they're at 22mpgs driving normal like not even stepping on it or over revving

lunder03

Respected
I get 30-32 mpg on average. I currently have a k & n intake, and racing exhaust from the header back. I rebuilt my own head after a blown head gasket. I have a front lip and rear spoiler as well, while also after market headlights, tail lights and fog lights. Headlights are led's with halo projector lights, the tail lights are led's and the fog lights are the newer xtreme vision bulbs with the computer warning cancellation. I have a carbon fiber wrap on my hood and plan to finish the front bumper cover and front lip spoiler as well. So my car is black and silver. I have aftermarket motegi 17" rims with 215/40r17 tires.
Still left to put on, my carbon fiber wrap and two front a-arms and ball joints.

Going to get, but haven't yet...coil overs, koni shocks, front and rear strut support, cambers and maybe, just maybe a stage 1 or two cam. Thought about turbo, buuut, finding it hard to justify spending 3 grand or more on it...we'll see. :-)

Oh, and I have side skirts but haven't installed them...not real kean on there look...I mock fitted them, but am on the fence.

Also, forgot new altenator, battery and both 02 sensors about a year ago.

Chacon

Oh, and I have side skirts but haven't installed them...not real kean on there look...I mock fitted them, but am on the fence.

Also, forgot new altenator, battery and both 02 sensors about a year ago.

Oh so mine really is getting horrible mileage :/

Mine has some nice after market rear control arms, 16x7 white monoblock wheels with 205-50 tires,
Thinking of coil overs and then just cause I really don't make much money I want to eBay turbo it.

lunder03

Respected
Buy premium gas if you don't already. That'll get you 3-5 mpg increase not to mention help keep your valves and engine internals in better shape. I only buy Shell premium gas...and the stuff really works...my valves really had no composites on them when I rebuilt my head...so shell isn't lying about their gas. Also, get some really, really good ngk spark plugs, which should net you another 2-3 mpg increase. Do that, and you should notice a 5-8 mpg increase overall...not to mention a hp increase as well.

I've read good and bad reviews in regards to ebay and Amazon Turbo set-ups...so who knows? They sound like they're hit and miss.

Chacon

I've read good and bad reviews in regards to ebay and Amazon Turbo set-ups...so who knows? They sound like they're hit and miss.

Well according to what I've heard it's gotten a lot better and also usually when they're bad it's cause you messed up in the setup usually with the oil feed lines but if you do it correctly it should be good for some miles and then you can probably upgrade to a different turbo if it breaks the kit is like $600

lunder03

Respected
Well according to what I've heard it's gotten a lot better and also usually when they're bad it's cause you messed up in the setup usually with the oil feed lines but if you do it correctly it should be good for some miles and then you can probably upgrade to a different turbo if it breaks the kit is like $600
Gotta link?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've read good and bad reviews in regards to ebay and Amazon Turbo set-ups...
Neither one of them produce "turbo set ups".

If you're going to go the turbo route, research, read and learn.
Spend the money and do things right the first time.
Buy quality parts and actually understand how a turbo works, how to maintain it, and how important tuning is.

Chacon

Buy quality parts and actually understand how a turbo works, how to maintain it, and how important tuning is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321225743012
That's supposedly bolt on and I mean I know how to install it for sure even if it needs a few things custom like the whole oil return and feed but I haven't found any one else that has done it on the 7th gen,
Ive been researching it for a while man's honestly it seems simple to turbo any car as long as you don't go over 10psi most stock internals will hold

lunder03

Respected

I think I have a pretty good foot hold there. I've spent quite a bit of time watching videos in regards to building turbo setups while also porting and polishing; another interest of mine but for another car.

Have the kit, just being thorough before I start with the heads. Meaning, I did a 1st pass trial on my headers. No issues with it, looked as described after what I've viewed.

Yeah, I'm not real sure I would go turbo because from my understanding, K-pro is not compatible with my ecu. This due to my car being an automatic. Not sure if there is a compatible unit out there? I know there are other units, just haven't delved into it yet. Kinda lost interest in that for the time being and am not willing to commit to a tranny swap and all that goes with it.

Finishing up a few other projects for my civic before I commit to more upgrades and i've another car to finish on top of it. I think I already have a next goal in mind for the civic, suspension and brake upgrade.

Shall see.

Last edited:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321225743012
That's supposedly bolt on and I mean I know how to install it for sure even if it needs a few things custom like the whole oil return and feed
It's not even about "just bolting up", its about the overall quality and fitment of those generic, cheaply made, probably Chinese parts.
Generic/knock off turbos are junk.
A real Garret T3/T4 is around $500+ new.
Generic turbos often have oiling problems such as blowing seals and running themselves dry, aren't balanced well, and have bad bearings.
Exhaust manifold and downpipe are usually just as cheaply made and may not fit 100%.
The welds, 9/10, are of poor quality, causing cracks and the pipes literally blowing out, they are such low quality that they just break.

Turbo is not about pSi, it's about airflow and how well and efficient your tune is.

Spend money on quality, proven, name brand parts. These companies have spent time on R & D for a reason.
You'll save time, money and headaches in the long run by doing it right the first time.

Last edited: