01 civic ex doesn't like cold starting

Manni765

So my 2001 civic ex will crank and sounds fine but it takes 2-3 cycles to get to start in mildly cold weather it cranks and begins to sputter but fails a couple of times before it starts any ideas on what it could be ?

Manni765

P1298-injector driver module failure.,but before it threw thew the same code and said electronic load detector
P0420- catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1

Manni765

- the p1298 always returns immediately but the p0420 sometimes takes a couple minutes to come back, I have not replaced the spark plugs yet but I was thinking about doing that as soon as I get paid

Manni765

- alright thanks il get back to you next Thursday for results

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well you could use a mechanical o2 simulator instead of buying a new cat if your state doesn't have emissions test, wink wink.

Manni765

Update : I changed the plugs and it definitely runs better but it still has a starting issue it's just a little bit faster start, I'm thinking it's the fuel pump and thoughts ?

Manni765

turns the engine fine it only happens when it's cold and I've been told my fuel pump might be going out but I want to consider any other possibilities before I drop 170 dollars on a fuel pump, next time I get a chance in will try to take a video of it happening and post it

Manni765

Before I ran some seafoam through the gas tank it would do this but I would have to cycle it like 3-4 times before it would start

Manni765

The only problem it has after it warmed up is once you get to a stop sign the rpm's drop down to idle then it drops even more to like 500 rpm then bumps back up to about 700-800 and all the lights stay off but the srs but that's not a problem