H22 or k20

Gabriel Ludwick

I'm trying to decide which way to go and would like some help so if u got knowledge on either please share lol got 5000 + for swap and a 92 hatch I'm leaning towards the k I'm new to Honda's but I'm a decent mechanic so I'll be doing the work myself so if anyone can point me to a place where I can get the info I need to make up my mind Thanx G

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There are a ton of writeups and info dealing with a 20+yr old chassis, and 15+ yr old motors.
Do some research and do some cost comparison.

Chance EG

Definitely do some research on your own a bit (look up k20a.org too), but overall I'd definitely recommend the K20.

K series has a much bigger/better aftermarket than H series, and makes better, cleaner power. Also gives you the option of a 6 speed trans and the stock sleeves are good for 600+ whp, which is definitely not true with the H.

Plus, I've heard H22's in EGs screw with the suspension geometry for some reason. Not sure if there's any truth to that, possibly they meant axle angles.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
K all day, newer engine, produces far more power and is much more responsive to minor bolt-ons than any B or H series ever was. Plus the H series never was fulled supported as the B and K have been over the years. Even support for the B series is dropping off as the series of engines is becoming dated.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
K series.
piece it together, do it yourself, remember that fancy parts aren't necessary along the way and you'll have a cost friendly and quite solid powerplant right from the start.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The K series will make more sense in the long run, both power wise and cost over the H.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
+1 for K series

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Definitely do some research on your own a bit (look up k20a.org too), but overall I'd definitely recommend the K20.

K series has a much bigger/better aftermarket than H series, and makes better, cleaner power. Also gives you the option of a 6 speed trans and the stock sleeves are good for 600+ whp, which is definitely not true with the H.

Plus, I've heard H22's in EGs screw with the suspension geometry for some reason. Not sure if there's any truth to that, possibly they meant axle angles.
you can use F22 SOHC block which has iron sleeves and more stroke

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
fast/cheap/reliable

sounds like the price tag is worth it IMO :cool:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
k series will cost you more money since its a newer engine then H are
I said "in the long run" it makes more sense.
The K has been out for 15 yrs now, not all that new anymore, plus Honda is using them across the lineup, so parts are not exactly hard to come by , neither are donor motors.
The H has been out of production for 15 yrs, in that time, how many have been junked and beaten on?
The K makes more sense.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
I said "in the long run" it makes more sense.
The K has been out for 15 yrs now, not all that new anymore, plus Honda is using them across the lineup, so parts are not exactly hard to come by , neither are donor motors.
The H has been out of production for 15 yrs, in that time, how many have been junked and beaten on?
The K makes more sense.
b series and d series are even older then the h/ f series and has been junked/beaten on far less then the more commonly done b series swap. h/f series has been a long rivalry against the k series since the begining. k has been out for a while but the k swap hasn't been around til about 10yrsor so later the k swap is still a fair new swaps aside from j swaps to date, which most likely to become more common swap done in the future as the k swaps get its chances.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
b series and d series are even older.
Irrelevant to this conversation, I never mentioned the B or D, but your overall argument doesn't hold water.
The H series was available from '92 to '01, realistically only two years newer than the B series.
The H only ran 8 years, far fewer of them out there compared to the K series which is pushing 15 years now.
Honda/Acura didn't use the H series across the lineup either like they have with the K series (Accord, Civic, Element, CRV, RSX).

K makes more sense, like i said, in the long run both financially and power wise.
It's a better bang for the buck with plenty of motors out there to go around and choose from.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Irrelevant to this conversation, I never mentioned the B or D, but your overall argument doesn't hold water.
The H series was available from '92 to '01, realistically only two years newer than the B series.
The H only ran 8 years, far fewer of them out there compared to the K series which is pushing 15 years now.
Honda/Acura didn't use the H series across the lineup either like they have with the K series (Accord, Civic, Element, CRV, RSX).

K makes more sense, like i said, in the long run both financially and power wise.
It's a better bang for the buck with plenty of motors out there to go around and choose from.
In case you didn't know Honda made the k series as a new replacement engine for the H series line up only reason why they stopped producing it in the first place. During that 8 yrs span Honda was in the process of making a newer version, you guessed its the k series. The very first k series engine they made before putting it into full production in to all the cars is the k24. they made the k20 for smaller subcompact cars as it was mandatory for one due to our gov and regulations. I said my previous statement only in a response to your statement and I quote "The H has been out of production for 15 yrs, in that time, how many have been junked and beaten on?", you was trying to make a point in by saying how old its and how long its been out of production and this that and third. FYI h22a type s made 220hp factory and the k20a type r had made the same 220hp from stock. only real difference is price and one uses the older vtec sytem and older technology. That statement is no better then someone telling someone else that the skyline r34 model is completely s**t and not worth having or modifying over the newer skyline R35 and that its also would be cheaper to modify then the older r34..... you can see how dumb and ignorant that statement sounds like........

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
k supercedes h in every way possible except for price. especially when it comes to aftermarket support as well as salvage yard availability of parts, k wins by miles. if youre going to dive in and spend a chunk of change why spend it on an outdated platform with less potential? it all depends on your budget. k20a.org and reading are key, not asking opinions of others

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
k supercedes h in every way possible except for price. especially when it comes to aftermarket support as well as salvage yard availability of parts, k wins by miles. if youre going to dive in and spend a chunk of change why spend it on an outdated platform with less potential? it all depends on your budget. k20a.org and reading are key, not asking opinions of others
yea k series has more parts available mainly cause its still newer and latest engine Honda use(excluding j series and the r series). just like you'll have much easier time finding parts for a 2004 model cars then you would for mid 90s model car. k has not supersede h at all yet, stock k swap civic already got beaten by a stock h2b civic before.Bismoto and ks tuned both have shown its potential and proven things otherwise. ks tuned owns the fastest h2b to date and has done 8.50 and better in quarter mile. A guy named cedric aka fast guy racing finally the first SFWD ek coupe with the k swap to brake into the 8 second bracket and that's high 8. H series did have as much aftermarket support not as much nowadays. but theres been as much support in the past.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
yea k series has more parts available mainly cause its still newer and latest engine Honda use(excluding j series and the r series). just like you'll have much easier time finding parts for a 2004 model cars then you would for mid 90s model car. k has not supersede h at all yet, stock k swap civic already got beaten by a stock h2b civic before.Bismoto and ks tuned both have shown its potential and proven things otherwise. ks tuned owns the fastest h2b to date and has done 8.50 and better in quarter mile. A guy named cedric aka fast guy racing finally the first SFWD ek coupe with the k swap to brake into the 8 second bracket and that's high 8. H series did have as much aftermarket support not as much nowadays. but theres been as much support in the past.
Like I said h=outdated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
K has more parts available because it's newer?....But a B series is older and has far more available for it. It's a simple fact that H series has never had the same kind of aftermarket support because the H engine has more short comings than the K or B series.

a stock "K20" was beaten by a H2B, lol, so not even a straight stock H series setup and it was against a lower displacement K.

There aren't as many K's with the record breaking times currently, because of the main thing that has been mentioned over and over here, cost. For something like SFWD, it takes quite a bit more money and trial and error to get a K into the same time frames. When you consider the amount of time it took a K to get close to the B series record times without forgetting how long and how much support and how much trial and error has been done for a B, the K is still impressive.

a clear fact of that is....the B series and the H series are having to incorporate K series technology to compete on a higher level, meanwhile the K is still being learned and taken to new heights.

nobody here has said any of the older engines aren't worth anything to build, but we all, excpet you, have said that they are all dated outside of a K series.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
K has more parts available because it's newer?....But a B series is older and has far more available for it. It's a simple fact that H series has never had the same kind of aftermarket support because the H engine has more short comings than the K or B series.

a stock "K20" was beaten by a H2B, lol, so not even a straight stock H series setup and it was against a lower displacement K.

There aren't as many K's with the record breaking times currently, because of the main thing that has been mentioned over and over here, cost. For something like SFWD, it takes quite a bit more money and trial and error to get a K into the same time frames. When you consider the amount of time it took a K to get close to the B series record times without forgetting how long and how much support and how much trial and error has been done for a B, the K is still impressive.

a clear fact of that is....the B series and the H series are having to incorporate K series technology to compete on a higher level, meanwhile the K is still being learned and taken to new heights.

nobody here has said any of the older engines aren't worth anything to build, but we all, excpet you, have said that they are all dated outside of a K series.
I do agree with you on how impressive k series are, straight h is still get it in tho i'm not knocking on the k. since its only matter of time where b and h are gonna be long gone and out of the picture. The beauty of the h2b is being able to use b series gearing without having to go spend s**t ton of money on a 1 of 1 custom made gears since the stock gearing sucked and that b series actually had good gearings from fractory. I know SFWD takes up a lot of money lol I already had spent some serious amount of cash for my build already and I 'm still not done. A lot of the support for H had diminished over the yrs but that mostly cause most had gone over and started being more focused on catering to k being that number of k swap is increasing rapidly and with that comes with more demands for the aftermarket support.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
Dear lord please at least try to form a proper sentence. If h series are so great then why did aftermarket support diminish so rapidly w the arrival of k swaps and not necessarily the same for b series? It's always been the black sheep and if that's how you want to roll then cool but the fact is that k technology superseded both h and b.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: