D16Y8 losing coolant. headgasket replaced

lyzic

Hi all,

I was on this forum a long time ago and have returned seeking some help from the experts.

I have a 98 civic SI with a d16y8. 290k kms which is 180k miles.

I had a couple ongoing problems, a persistent oil leak and losing coolant. I fixed the oil leak by replacing the pan gasket as well as every other gasket topside of the engine.

I figured that the loss of coolant was the headgasket. So I took the head off and yup, headgasket was gone. A big old chunk missing.

The cylinder with the leaking gasket was this one on the right-

Replaced it and the car ran great for a couple hundred miles until I started losing coolant again. A steady rate, about a pop can worth every 75kms. I torqued it to the specs in my Haynes manual.

Checked all my hoses hoping that it was the reason.

Checked the compression and got 180-180-190-190.

I can't smell any coolant being burned off. But I did pop the radiator cap when it's running and there is slow but persistent bubbling. No coolant in the oil.

So....did I install the headgasket wrong? Would it of ran fine for a little while and then gone south if so? Or could the head be warped? Or is there something else I should check?

Really hoping there's an easy solution you guys and gals can points me towards.

Thanks!

daperez13

Respected
That would also be my guess as well, a warped head, especially if the engine overheated at one point. Any white or grey smoke coming from your exhaust?

Do you notice any obvious leaks, even if they are minimal?

lyzic

No obvious leaks. I've put down paper underneath and no drips.

It's overheated but never to the point that it seized.

No white or grey smoke that I can see. Is it obvious white/grey smoke? I've ran it for a couple minutes and haven't noticed anything.

I checked the head when I took it off, but my straight edge wasn't the most accurate (just a normal level) and I couldn't see any warping. It wasn't exactly using great tools though :(

I'll get a block tester and check for exhaust gas in the coolant and update =)

lyzic

Ajusa head gasket from rockauto.com, and copper spray.

I reused the existing bolts rather than replacing them.

I followed the instructions...somewhat. All of the specs for torquing and whatnot. I didn't take the timing belt off the pulley so I wouldn't have to reset the timing, I just slid it off and marked the positions.

lyzic

I had a couple manuals kicking around, a Haynes and maybe the honda one in pdf.

I followed the head bolt torquing specs to the letter.

Could the intake gasket leak coolant into the cylinder? I didn't replace it...and it's more palatable to replace that than the damn headgasket again...but then I guess if the block tester shows exhaust gases in the coolant it has to be head gasket or warped head...

lyzic

I'm losing coolant, not sure if burning or losing through other means. I guess the block test will show it for sure.

I bled the system after replacing the gasket

lyzic

I did the burp method.

Put a bottle on top of the radiator, filled it with fluid, ran the car with the heat turned on max inside and waited for it to run and warm up and circulate.

It is losing way more coolant than could be held within the system. I don't drive it much and put in a 300mL every week or so....a pop can worth.

lyzic

eeesh...i have no idea about turning on twice i wasn't paying that close attention to it

i think the volume is enough that it just isn't filling up space in the system. I've put more than a few bottles of coolant and water in since it started this leak which has got to be the total capacity a few times over

lyzic

it does if i let the coolant drop past a certain level....then there isnt enough coolant to push through and it overheats

lyzic

Did a block test and the fluid went from blue to yellow indicating exhaust gases in the coolant.

Does that paired with a compression test of 180-180-190-190 tell me any more of what it could be? Either head gasket or warped head? Or do both issues have exactly the same symptoms? Would be nice to narrow it down without pulling the engine totally apart...if a warped head I can try to find one first before pulling it apart. I still use the car to commute every day to work...albeit only 5kms each way.

Otto85

Headgasket probably needs to be replaced, you would have to remove the head to have it checked to see if it's warped so with the removal I'd go ahead and replace the gasket anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk