Misfire, 1999 Civic LX

Eriko

Misfires in my engine have occurred abruptly and in all 4 cylinders. The code I had gotten confirmed this. I don't think it's the spark plugs or wires because it's unlikely for all of them to go out at once. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Change your distributor cap & rotor as they're the likely issue.

Eriko

I replaced the distributor cap and rotor, but no success in fixing the problem. Should I replace the ignition coil pack as well? Thanks.

Last edited:

daperez13

Respected
I don't think it's the spark plugs or wires because it's unlikely for all of them to go out at once.
Don't rule this out, I've seen stranger things happen. When was the last time they were changed out? What type/brand of wires and plugs? Check the gap on the spark plugs.

If you have a compression gauge, perform a compression test. I know, it may not seem related but it is. Plus, it doesn't cost you anything; you can always rent one from a local auto parts store, they usually refund the rental fee. By the way, how many miles does the vehicle have?

If you have recently replaced the spark plug wires, spark plugs, cap and rotor, you should replace the fuel filter and check fuel pressure. If you have low fuel pressure, then that's an indication of a bad filter or pump. Also, check for vacuum leaks.

Definitely look into the ignition coil, there are a few videos on how to test them.

If all of the above checks out fine, then you will need to look into the injectors. This is a little more involved. You can remove them and check for obvious dirt and grime but checking flow and spray will rule them out.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What type/brand of wires and plugs?
This is very important. If you installed anything but NGK or Denso plugs then that alone may be the issue.

Also, what other pertinent information besides the cap & rotor swap did you forget to include in the first post? Failure to provide clear details and all related info. will only work against you.

Ep3po

Respected
Not enough info!!! Is it swaped or stock? Any mods? If so was it properly tuned? How many miles? It's hard enough to diagnose a problem like that with the car in front of you. Let alone with just a 20 word description. It's all about the details people!!