changing cluster panel

Hondaman4ever

My Civic doesnt have a tachometer and I'm thinking about replacing the cluster panel with one that has a tacho. I found a cluster panel but it has more mileage than what's on my car and I'm wondering if I can just remove the speedometer part on it and replace it with the speedometer from my panel and that way I can have the new cluster panel but with my old speedometer part. Would that work?

Thanks.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm wondering if I can just remove the speedometer part on it and replace it with the speedometer from my panel and that way I can have the new cluster panel but with my old speedometer part. Would that work?
Yes, and it is that easy!
The speedometer is bolted from the back of the cluster, comes out the front, so you will have to take the cluster apart, removing the clear plastic and cluster bezel to expose it.

YoungYoyi18

Respected
U can do everything braker said or u can open it up n spin the miles back to where u need them exact or u can swap them out also n to spin the mileage go on youtube it explains exactly what u need to do

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
U can do everything braker said or u can open it up n spin the miles back to where u need them exact or u can swap them out also n to spin the mileage go on youtube it explains exactly what u need to do
Work smarter, not harder.
Why go through the rigmarole of doing that when you can simply swap gauges?
There is more room for error and chance of damage messing with the gauge and trying to roll the numbers to where you need it.

Hondaman4ever

Yes I know I could roll back the numbers and I know it's not that hard but why do that -and like Mr. Baker said open up the possibilities for problems- when I can just swap the whole speedometer gauge with the new one ? I think it's the safer way.

codyruffgsd

Is there any extra wires that needs to be ran? Or is it a plug and play? Because I've been thinking the same thing

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Hondaman4ever

Is there any extra wires that needs to be ran? Or is it a plug and play? Because I've been thinking the same thing

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
No extra wires required. It's plug and play as long as they're from '96-'00 models, as far as I know.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
All 96-00 Civic clusters are plug n play, as are 97-01 CRV.