Transmission issues

Jason Deroux

Hello all. I have a 1999 Honda Civic Lx with the automatic transmission. I am experiencing some hard shifts from 1-2. Also some intermittently mild flaring from 2-3. All other gears appear to be working fine. I am not experiencing any hard downshifts that I know of. Oddly enough, the hard shifting from 1-2 is greatly reduced if I let off the gas prior to the shift. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hi @Jason Deroux :suprise:

When was the last time the transmission fluid was serviced/changed?

Automatic transmission sometimes use fluidics (fluid pressure as binary logic) to actuate shifting, but it means that the transmission is filled with little passages that can be blocked by crud. I've heard horror stories of automatic transmissions that go too long without maintenance and then fall apart when the fluid is finally changed :???:

At the same time, I've read that Honda automatic transmission just tend to shift harder than overs, at least up to 6th gens, and that hard shifts aren't something to worry about unless they're really jerking the car around, but now I'm just stalling while someone else shows up and knows that they're talking about :lol:

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Well I had the same feeling about my Integra, brought it to a shop and apparently one of my engine mounts (the back one to be specific) was really worn out. So before you narrow it down to the transmission, you might want to take a look at your engine mounts, especially the back one