Motor for boost, options: 2000 civic hatchback

Alan Ball

Respected
Hey fellow honda lovers I'm relatively new to the whole honda game. I'm hoping to get some insight and opinions on a few things I cant decide what to do to my car. I'm lookomg into building and boosting the car but my first and one of the important questions is which motor do I pick up another d16y7 along with trans and build that, or do I pick up a b series and build and boost that? If b series which motor? Or should I do something like a b20vtec build or an lsvtec? Any help and pointers, tips, anything will help me decide and will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

Ep3po

Respected
You failed to mention the most important things What is your budget? And what is your power output goal? You say another d16 is there something wrong with the motor currently in the car? If there is another d16 would be the easiest swap? If your looking for 200+hp ditch the d16 for a b series. But this is where budget comes into play!!! You will need a tranny,harness,ecu,mounts etc..... gets expensive!!!! Sure you can boost your d16 but if you want big power I would opt for a b swap where there is a lot more aftermarket support.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The D16Y7 motor is an economy motor, not one for power. You can boost it, absolutely, but as @Ep3po said, what's your power goal and budget? It's much easier to get 250whp out of a B18 than it would be a D16.

This subject has been covered extensively. Please research the different types of D and B series motors to determine which is best to fir your needs. The information out there on these motors is more than plentiful.

If you're automatic, forget it. Unless you do an auto to manual conversion.

Alan Ball

Respected
Haha guess I did forget some important information it is manual 5 speed, hp I'm looking for 250-275 to start, but around 2500 budget excluding cost of motor but I dont have the 2500 right now so buy what I can when I can type of build, depending on which b series motor I should go with I know my buddy has a couple wrecked integras one with b18b and other b18a as for the d16 thats in the car the current motor is fine runs drives needs minor things like an exhaust manifold mines currently cracked. Could use a tune up and oil change filter etc. But it gets me from a to b for now .

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
B18B would be your best bet for the power goal you want to achieve. I had a B18B and with stock internals I managed just about ~250whp. That budget is borderline, but should be doable. You should set roughly $500 aside for tuning along. If there is one thing you should never cheap out on, it's tuning.

Alan Ball

Respected
Understandable any idea what parts I should use like pistons and other things I was looking on the real street website the other day to get approximate prices on a build I know ARP headstuds is a must but what pistons, cams, fuel pump, injectors, bearings, valve springs and retainers? Also what harness and ecu would I need to run a b18b1 the harness from the Integra or would my civics harness work the ecu could I just take from the Integra and plug it in?

What about an h22 build? How are they for making power?

Last edited by a moderator: