code 6, B18c swap

94hatchgsr

So here is the details. 94 hatch. Has a 96 gsr motor/tranny swap. Car still uses factory obd1 wiring with wiring ran to correct pins on ecu for vtec engagement(everything is soldered and heat wrapped). It's running a chipped p28 ecu(not sure what it's chipped with or what programming). All gauges working properly(tach, speedo, temp) but no vtec engagement. Ecu was throwing codes 4,6,&9. Replaced dizzy and reset ecu. Car pulled hard with vtec engagement through 1st and 2nd them immediately threw code 6 again. I have replaced the coolant temp sensor already(twice actually) and chased down wiring again only to have same issues over and over. As soon as I hit 6k rpm cel light kicks in and goes to limp mode limiting it to 3200 rpm. I'm lost to where to look next. Any help would be gladly appreciated.

MotorMo

Respected

'Code 6 Engine coolant temperature sensor fault' aka the TW switch.

I've heard more times than not that Code #6 tends to be a wiring issue with engine swaps. Many times there is a break in the wire it self near the "TW" switch which is the coolant temp sending unit to the ECU. Don't get it confused---- the TW switch is a 2 wire, verses the single wire coolant temp sender for the Gauge only is a one wire connector. Running the wrong ECU for the engine may be your problem as well- I've also seen 'chipped' ECU's get damaged from bad craftsmanship.
You could grab a Ohm meter and ensure that the wires have continuity from connector to ECU. You could also check resistance values of the TW switch and compare them to Factory specs. If that all checks out, find an OBD1 GSR ECU and swap it out for a 'retest'.