boost preping

newguy96

Respected
Long story short pretty sure I have a warped block in my 96 lx d16y7 I have a friend that has a spare block and I'm cashing in some vacation time for cash and probably maxing out my credit card to build a motor. I've never built a motor but I have another friend that rebuilds them(stock) for assistance. But anyway planning on boosting it in the somewhat future I'm going to use forged rods, bore it, adjustable cam gear, Nippon racing head gasket, gates timing belt. I may swap to a y8 head depending on what the pull a part has available. And when I boost I will be doing a Mani swap. But while I'm in the motor is there anything else I should do?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Now that I moved this into the most appropriate section, search through it and you will find your answers. This is why this section exists.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Long story short pretty sure I have a warped block in my 96 lx d16y7 I have a friend that has a spare block and I'm cashing in some vacation time for cash and probably maxing out my credit card to build a motor. I've never built a motor but I have another friend that rebuilds them(stock) for assistance. But anyway planning on boosting it in the somewhat future I'm going to use forged rods, bore it, adjustable cam gear, Nippon racing head gasket, gates timing belt. I may swap to a y8 head depending on what the pull a part has available. And when I boost I will be doing a Mani swap. But while I'm in the motor is there anything else I should do?
I would definitely recommend a y8 head. It's essentially bolting on 30hp, and you'll get better performance out of it compared to the y7 when boosting.

I would also replace the water pump while you have the motor apart. Get a gasket set and replace all of the easy to do seals, such as valve cover, valve stem seals, fuel injector O-ring (though depending on what you do for fuel management, new injectors may come with them), intake manifold gasket, etc.

You'll need a new fuel pump as well, the Walbro 255lph is suitable for most applications, unless you're trying to a ton of power.

I would also get new head studs, as reusing the OEM ones can be bad, especially under boost. I reused them, and they actually started to stretch under boost. Look into ARP ones, very good quality!

newguy96

Respected
I'll be starting with a bare block so I'm going to get a master rebuild kit. And luckily I already have a 255lph fuel pump installed, and I have a high volume fuel rail in the box I haven't installed yet. Set of ARP head studs on the way. Also I was wondering about the oil lines for the turbo like exactly where they go and if I should drill/tap/plug a place for them while I had the block out?

Now that I moved this into the most appropriate section, search through it and you will find your answers. This is why this section exists.
And thanks for putting it in the right spot still learning the site. I was afraid I put it in the wrong spot

Last edited by a moderator:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'll be starting with a bare block so I'm going to get a master rebuild kit. And luckily I already have a 255lph fuel pump installed, and I have a high volume fuel rail in the box I haven't installed yet. Set of ARP head studs on the way. Also I was wondering about the oil lines for the turbo like exactly where they go and if I should drill/tap/plug a place for them while I had the block out?
You'll need to tap the oil return line. Do so as far up in the oil pan as you can. If you can weld, weld the AN fitting to the pan. If not, you can use JB weld. Just make sure to start with a small hole and use one of those stepping bits to increase to the right size. There should be plenty of how-to videos out there, that's what we used when drilling my B18 pan.

newguy96

Respected
You'll need to tap the oil return line. Do so as far up in the oil pan as you can. If you can weld, weld the AN fitting to the pan. If not, you can use JB weld. Just make sure to start with a small hole and use one of those stepping bits to increase to the right size. There should be plenty of how-to videos out there, that's what we used when drilling my B18 pan.
Ok thanks! But where does the sending line run from?