Engine help

b00mhower

I generally don't ask questions like this especially without searching but I need opinions. I was driving home and all of the sudden my car (91 civic hatch 1.5 4 speed) up and quit. The car was still running but I couldn't rev it at all. When I tried starting it my check engine and battery light stay on. It'll crank and crank but won't start so I'm kinda ruling out battery and starter. Checked fuses and didn't see any pertinent fuses that were burnt

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

b00mhower

What are the CEL codes?
I can't believe i didn't do that yet. My bad this is really stressed me out. I'll pull those in the morning when I have daylight.

Also I know my IAC was bad, could that result in a hard stall and no start?

b00mhower

Pulled codes, flashed 16 times so injector problems correct?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Pulled codes, flashed 16 times so injector problems correct?

Code 16 wouldn't be 16 flashes. It would be 1 long flash, and then 6 short flashes. Every long flash = 10. Any pauses between flashes indicates the end of that code and the start of a new one.

b00mhower

Code 16 wouldn't be 16 flashes. It would be 1 long flash, and then 6 short flashes. Every long flash = 10. Any pauses between flashes indicates the end of that code and the start of a new one.
So what would it be. It was a flash, long pause, then 16 flashes, then pause and repeat

b00mhower

So my main relay is intact. I can't test it right now because my multimeter and the rest of my stuff is 2 hours away in Ohio. I did find a green/blk wire disconnected and dangling in my cluster bump of wires, it runs down the kick panel and towards the back of the car. Wondering if it might be important..well all wires are important but is this pertinent

b00mhower

Narrowing it down, got a new main relay for $25, nothing changed, still getting code 16. I'm not really hearing the fuel pump but I've never really been able to in this car. I'm gonna try to track down a fuel pressure gauge tomorrow to see if I'm getting fuel to the throttle body or not. Opinions? Other options?

b00mhower

Check whether the hood or dash main relay/ECU fuse is blown. Check both.

If the pump doesn't prime, then there's no fuel pressure.

Have you downloaded the 91 CRX manual?

http://www.shweet.org/Manuals/manuals.shtml

The main relay and ECU Grn/Blk wire controls the fuel pump.
Fuses were fine.

I haven't been able to hear the fuel pump run the whole time I've had the car, are there any ways to test that the pump is priming other than sound?

b00mhower

How do you know you tested the correct fuses?

With key OFF, remove the fuel cap and put your ear over the hole.

Have a friend turn the key from OFF to ON(II) (do not try to start engine).

Do you hear the fuel pump run (humming or buzzing noise) for 2 seconds? If not, a couple of electrical tests will help to pinpoint the problem.
Pulled and visually inspected all the underhood fuses and checked all in cab fuses I could think would be pertinent

Checked again and there is a noise from my fuel pump.

b00mhower

Reset the ECU to clear the CEL codes.

Turn key from OFF to ON(II). Does the CEL remain on steady or turn off after 2 seconds?
It'll turn off after 2 seconds

And from what I saw about resetting the ecu I have to drive the car to reset fuel trims, which I can't do right now lol

b00mhower

Pulled, waited, turned key aaaaand crank crank crank no start. I'm gonna fight this car

b00mhower

Does the CEL stay on steady with key in ON(II)?

Any CEL codes blinking on the ECU now?
CEL goes off after a couple seconds and when I turn the key I get one flash off the ecu, nothing past that.

Last edited:

b00mhower

Could my alternator be part of the problem? Seeing as how my battery light turned on and stayed on when my car crapped out?

b00mhower

Spark on all 4 but it's a yellow spark which if I remember right is weak, correct?