Suspension too soft??

Drakon543

Ok so going from my sport packaged pontiac to this civic the car feels like it wants to let go of the road almost any time im driving it. First my plan is to ditch the 16 in hubcap nonsense and get 17 or 18 in rims and tires. Im also looking at all the available suspension bracing thats available for this car. If i just dive in and throw upper front and rear stb and lower braces at it will that make enough difference for the time being? Ive also got a b line on some stock si sway bars i can pick up. Any suggestions starting off with the best bang for the cheapest buck and up from there.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
the softness comes from soft and long travel suspension, not from not having tie bars and braces. shorter/stiffer suspension makes the car feel more 'sporty' which seems to be what you're looking for. Sway bars and such help for body roll when you turn btw.

Drakon543

Sorry it feels soft all the way around. Too much body roll and it just doesnt have a sporty feel to it at all. Im going to be stuck with this car for atleast a while. It was my wifes civic so im just looking at cheaper options first. I can get stiffer sway bars and braces cheaper and put them all on myself. I haven't decided if i want to make it any lower yet and that will either require me using widow maker spring compressors or i could get my buddy to help me at his shop with thier machine. Honestly an automatic civic is my last choice to be driving but its the most economical car we already own out of the 3 we have. Plus the pontiac is paid off already so im going to sell it and free up some more funds.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It's possible that the softness is coming from the tires you have on there as well. Normal economy tires (the ones that last 75000 miles) have very soft sidewalls. Performance tires have stiffer sidewalls, and thus less of a body roll feel.

Drakon543

Thats definitely possible just didnt think it would make a car feel this squishy. That will be taken care of soon hopefully. It still has the stock 16 in steel rims with the original hubcaps on it... it was the biggest annoyance when she brought it home from the dealership. I told her i hate hubcaps why did she even bother buying it if it didnt atleast have the factory alloy rims. I geuss maybe i was just over reading into the bracing. I thought there was some kind of body issues with these cars as much aftermarket suspension braces these cars have available. Anyway thanks for the info it makes me feel a little more comfortable about driving this car if all i need is better tire package and maybe some better sway bars.