Wheel Offset

CaseyEJ8

Looking to get 15x8.5 wheels for my 99 Civic. The offset for them is +17. I've searched the past few days now trying to understand exactly what it means, how it will look, etc. I'm just wondering if I get these wheels, do I need to stretch them, will they rub, do I need to roll my fenders, and what size tires will be best? The car is sitting at stock height and will most likely never get more than a 1.5in drop anytime soon.

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You have many questions grasshopper. Here is a lesson on offset, click the link below.

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=101

Are you sure you want to go with a 15'' wheel? They tend to look small on 6th gens.

You'd probably need to roll your fenders with that wide of a wheel and as far as stretching, I'm sure you're referring to tires. I don't have all the answers for you but I suggest you look through some youtube videos of others with the set up you want and pick their brain or just read their specs to give you the information you seek. Good luck and post up some pics when you're done.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Look at low offset threads on Honda tech and other sites. Familiarize yourself with offset, backspacing, etc of wheels.

IMO: 15s are too small for EKs, 16s are perfect, 17s are pushing it on the bigger side.
I'm currently running 16x8.5 +20 on my wagon w/ 165/50s

I've run 15x8 +0 on my old EK w/ 165/50s also:

Final remarks: If you are scared/don't want to run stretched tires, do NOT get low offset wheels (in the range of x8 to x10 width and +20 to +0 offset) they will not fit right and you will rub a lot if you are lowered or slammed. If you do like or don't mind stretched tires, a +20 offset on a x8 to x8.5 is perfect as long as you have enough stretch in your tires like 165 series or 175 series. Research wheel set ups on Honda Tech and other sites to get better ideas (and tyrestretch.com) to see how people are fitting their wheels.

CaseyEJ8

Look at low offset threads on Honda tech and other sites. Familiarize yourself with offset, backspacing, etc of wheels.

IMO: 15s are too small for EKs, 16s are perfect, 17s are pushing it on the bigger side.
I'm currently running 16x8.5 +20 on my wagon w/ 165/50s

I've run 15x8 +0 on my old EK w/ 165/50s also:

Final remarks: If you are scared/don't want to run stretched tires, do NOT get low offset wheels (in the range of x8 to x10 width and +20 to +0 offset) they will not fit right and you will rub a lot if you are lowered or slammed. If you do like or don't mind stretched tires, a +20 offset on a x8 to x8.5 is perfect as long as you have enough stretch in your tires like 165 series or 175 series. Research wheel set ups on Honda Tech and other sites to get better ideas (and tyrestretch.com) to see how people are fitting their wheels.
After still researching this, even looking at google images, I still can't quite grasp if they will be ok. I don't mind running stretched tires. If I were to get these wheels that have +17 offset, and I put 175/x tires on them, will they rub? Again, my car is currently stock height. If not what size tires do I need? Sorry for all the questions. I just can't seem to find my answers elsewhere. Or maybe I just don't quite understand.

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
After still researching this, even looking at google images, I still can't quite grasp if they will be ok. I don't mind running stretched tires. If I were to get these wheels that have +17 offset, and I put 175/x tires on them, will they rub? Again, my car is currently stock height. If not what size tires do I need? Sorry for all the questions. I just can't seem to find my answers elsewhere. Or maybe I just don't quite understand.
I can't imagine you rubbing at stock height unless you put on some tires with a ridiculous side wall. If you can't get an answer by looking at what others have done then you'll just have to risk it. Keep in mind the possibility of an aggressive stretched tire set up, rolled fenders, possibly pulled fenders and negative camber. Or you could just get some wheels with a more conservative offset. Not sure that you'll be able to run springs either, might need some coilovers to dial in to your wheel set up.

I just went through this recently with my IS but I knew what I was getting into and got wheels that were too wide and made them fit.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
I'd rather have you lower your car first and then buy wheels.. or else it's going to look extremely awkward. That set up will fit IMO