RP's FC3S 10AE RX7 Time Attack Build

Road Pirate

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, here's the start of yet another stupid project I've come up with. After having a 91 FC convertible as a daily, I miss the hell out of it. Sure, it wasn't practical, doesn't have back seats, gets terrible gas mileage and had no power whats so ever...but I loved it. Sounded amazing, timeless body lines and just a joy to drive.

Some of you have seen my BRZ which was also my daily got destroyed by hail a few months ago. It was my daily driver, but also my first "grip" build which I had a blast in. Might as well continue the saga but go back to my roots...with a golden era car and a wankle!

This time around, I have a new daily ('08 IS250) and this car will be a dedicated track car. No more risks of it being totaled by hail..

Anywho, onto the good stuff. It might not be the prettiest thing ever, but it has a ton of potential! It's one of 1500 ever made 10th anniversary RX7's. Lots of rare parts on it, along with original bronze glass, pearl white paint, 10AE random accessories etc.

I picked it up from some kid who was stripping it down to paint it. The motor was nowhere to be found, lots of moldings were missing, windows were down and it looked like its sat outside for a long time. (thankfully no hail damage). Lots of work ahead of me!

Here's how it looked once I got it home:

Pressure washed the entire car, and got it inside the garage for some work. The first step was to clean that interior. Doesn't look too bad in the picture but man it was disgusting.

Next up, rust removal, replace all bushings with poly and solid bushings.

Rear subframe..ew nasty!

But not to worry - found a donor rear subframe locally with little to no rust.

Got my Prothane kit in, along with some new poly steering rack bushings and caliper rebuild kits

My buddy works at a junkyard and let me know an FC was admitted...so I was the first to check it out! It had all the weather stripping and moldings I needed. Hooray for weather tight!

Man I have a lot of work ahead of me...oh and a super messy garage I'm in the middle of finishing while doing this car. Never did I say I was good at planning..

Got my S5 tails in as well. Sorry but those 10AE S4 tails just don't do it for me...

That's it for now! The front cross member, lower control arms and rear subframe are all being sent out for powdercoating this week. Once they get back I can get to installing the new bushings! Currently waiting on a package from PBM that includes all my solid bushings, rear lateral rods and camber arm. Pretty stoked!

Once the suspension and rust removal is done I'll move to brakes then I'll move onto the interior, exterior and motor build.

Road Pirate

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Forgot to update this lol, haven't made a whole lot of progress since September of last year but here it is:

Rebuilt my suspension. Found a rust free rear subframe, painted everything and installed new PBM solid bushings mixed with Prothane bushings tied together with PBM adjustable arms.

In my quest to convert to S5 (pissing off 10AE purists left and right), I located a front and rear bumpers and moldings.

Cant rebuild the suspension without doing the brakes, right? Rebuilt my front and rear hubs with brand new bearings and seals. Rebuild the calipers and threw on some Hawk pads and Russel lines

Figured I'd try out Prime Suspension coils. Fortune Auto's entry level coilover, we'll see how they do!

aaaaand to piss off the purists even more, it's painted black! Also test fitted my 17x9.5 +14 Advan RG's wrapped with 255/40 Advan AD08R's

Also received my RE Amemiya carbon oval mirrors and spoiler

Waiting for all my accessories and bumpers to be painted then the exterior will be thrown together. More pics soon!

Road Pirate

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^ I agree!

Snagged an S5 Turbo 13B thanks to Chris (mymmeryloss) for picking it up for me.

Body is slowly coming together compared to previous post. Along with some RPF1's! The advans were too aggressive for what I want this car to have.

Hopefully my rear diffuser, skirts and front will be here soon to throw on!