high idle stuck in park

TracyN8

I have a 98 ex AT, it has always had an erratic idle some days little high some days a little low some days perfect. but lately after putting it in park the idle will go up to 3000 to 4000 rpm and the shifter will be locked from moving. this mostly happens if it is on an incline. Has anyone seen this before and if so is it air fuel issue or is it transmission. history of this car is it has 260k. it is regularly maintained (oil, filters, plugs changed to schedule) few months ago the idle control valve was replaced with genuine Honda part, this helped a lot with idle at the time, I could run the a.c. at stop lights with no issues but didn't do much for vibration at idle. meaning idle is steady but car vibrates. Direction with high idle issue would be much appreciated .

TracyN8

I forgot to add that i would have to use the key slot next to shifter to release and go into gear. this isn't happening every time but it is getting more frequent. thanks again!

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Any CEL on (Check Engine Light)?
Possible causes, Idle air control stuck, vac leaks, throttle stuck open, check coolant level and bleed the system?
If the accurate engine temperature isn't being sensed because of low coolant level, then fast idle could occur.

TracyN8

Thank you. Will start there and let you know how it works out.

TracyN8

Any CEL on (Check Engine Light)?
Possible causes, Idle air control stuck, vac leaks, throttle stuck open, check coolant level and bleed the system?
If the accurate engine temperature isn't being sensed because of low coolant level, then fast idle could occur.
No cel system is bleed