Clutch problems

sjonesd3

2000 Civic EX
5 speed
Ok I have another slight fix needed. Or more so need reassurance. So when I got the car one of the Honda techs that I'm cool with from the nearby dealer looked at my car. He said it was leaking from the master cylinder and showed me the leak. This was in 2015. Fast forward to yesterday, I started my car up after work but it wouldn't shift to any gear at all. So decided to start it in 1st and luckily I live about 15 minutes away. Had to ride with hazards on so no one would get behind me.

Now my bigger problem is that I have exams during the week and the local Honda doesn't have the part. Not to mention the part is super expensive coming up to over $300. I decided that I'm going to do slave & master. I priced the part from Honda Parts Now and it was around $184.

TL;DR I'm wondering can I delay the repair, but just properly bleed with fluid it until I have time & it arrives? Which would be around Wednesday or Thurs?

Utt3rly

2000 Civic EX
5 speed
Ok I have another slight fix needed. Or more so need reassurance. So when I got the car one of the Honda techs that I'm cool with from the nearby dealer looked at my car. He said it was leaking from the master cylinder and showed me the leak. This was in 2015. Fast forward to yesterday, I started my car up after work but it wouldn't shift to any gear at all. So decided to start it in 1st and luckily I live about 15 minutes away. Had to ride with hazards on so no one would get behind me.

Now my bigger problem is that I have exams during the week and the local Honda doesn't have the part. Not to mention the part is super expensive coming up to over $300. I decided that I'm going to do slave & master. I priced the part from Honda Parts Now and it was around $184.

TL;DR I'm wondering can I delay the repair, but just properly bleed with fluid it until I have time & it arrives? Which would be around Wednesday or Thurs?
Get a rental save yourself the headache

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sjonesd3

*update* Well the good news is that my mom will let me use her car to get back and forth to class. I called Majestic Honda, and the said if I order before 2pm it'll ship out soon. So I should be up and running by Friday at the latest.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If it wont shift into gear, it is shot. Replace clutch and brake mc at the sane time. Be sure to bench bleed before installing.

Once you let them go that long, they are done for and you won't be driving until you install new parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sjonesd3

If it wont shift into gear, it is shot. Replace clutch and brake mc at the sane time. Be sure to bench bleed before installing.

Pro
As far as bleeding I'm gonna get a bleeder that we sell at my job. Since I get the discount. But I ordered the slave & master earlier from Majestic Honda. What do you mean by brake master cylinder?

Ej8civicex

They wear at about the same rate so it would be wise to change both out but it might be able to wait just be weary of leaks or loss of brake pressure.

sjonesd3

Welp guess I'm carless until next week now. Parts came in the mail today. I got the part number from the nearby dealer, and after I opened it, turned out to be a different one. Looked up the number, and it's for the next gen.....:brickshead: Guess I should've ran a check beforehand

sjonesd3

So I'm gonna just get a Duralast one for now, since I need my car ASAP. And keep these. So if you guys know anybody that needs either just tell them to dm me

sjonesd3

Welp. So we changed the slave & master. Now my car won't start. It cranks but won't actually turn on. He checked the wires with a screwdriver and said no spark. I know a few months ago, I changed the rotor & distributor cap. So would I need to check the ICM & coil next?

sjonesd3

Ok new update. I went to grab an ignition coil from the nearby Honda dealer about $140, and it fixed the problem. So now the car completely starts.
New problem is now the clutch won't shift at all. So from the posts I've seen, and questions asked, it may be the pressure plate. So that's next on the list of things to do. Any pointers or recommendations on a good clutch kit? My motor & tranny are completely stock IIRC, EJ8 D16Y8

sjonesd3

How does this^ differ from the problem described in your first post?

Is the pedal normal or spongy, or does it just fall to the floor?
Spongy. After we bled it pushing it down 3 times then the screw.

The 1st problem was that it sunk completely to the ground.
But I'm gonna go up to my job to get a bleeder that I can connect to an air compressor for another test. Then go from there.

sjonesd3

Would there be a way to test the fluid leak, if we're absolutely sure we bled it correctly? Just trying to narrow down the possible issues. And try to remember any previous signs that I might have missed

sjonesd3

Only leaks that I'm 100% sure of are the oil leaks, which is next on my list of things to fix. That was the only reason I swapped out the old master & slave, gunk under the pedal. And yep they're brand new.

sjonesd3

So we tried the air bleed method. The pedal is fine now, still not shifting. And he said he can see the clutch fork moving when I press it. So since I have time were gonna remove the whole thing and replace all the clutch components since I have time and space now. Besides the clutch what else should I get replaced while it's out? I'm thing about timing and water pump.

sjonesd3

Ok bet thanks, and yea I know the timing is other side. Just debating if I'm gonna do it now or later, but I'll prob wait. Now I gotta gather up/buy tools I need, and find a clutch kit

sjonesd3

Lol yep that was what I was looking at. Now with me doing typical long distance driving every now & then mixed w/ city driving, is the OEM replacement fine? Stage one would be for later on when I eventually do mods right? And should I get pressure plate resurfaced or just get a brand new one?