96 civic electrical issues

aaron48838

I've done lots and lots of research. I have been searching for weeks and spent a lot trying to fix my issue....

I bought a riced out civic from Cali and brought it up north with me. Everything was working perfectly.Took body kit off, underbody lights, push-start button. and all the useless toggle switches that went to the underbody lights and some went to nothing at all.

Everything worked good for a couple weeks, Then all of a sudden the car died, won't hold a charge. but the battery and alt are good. It's like something keeps draining the battery. Then all of a sudden the car would jump RPMS. 700 rpms at idle and then bounce from 700-2400 over and over again. The radio stopped working as well.
I was getting upset, couldn't figure it out. I flipped a toggle switch that PO had wired to the fan in the engine bay (haven't got a new plug yet to wire it back into the stock plug. and WOULDNT YOU BELIEVE IT, The RPM bounce stopped and the radio turned on. So I tuned toggle switch off, and the radio turned off and RPM started to bounce again.....

The gauge cluster also won't light up, check engine, srs, brake light and all those work just fine. but the backlight won't work. I changed all fuses, dimmer switch, and the main headlight switch. but nothing.

So I even swapped in a known working gauge cluster and still, NOTHING..

I have a full parts car. Could I pull the dash and swap all the wiring over? or would it be too hard?

aaron48838

Any CEL codes?

How do you know that the alternator is charging?

When you turn the key from OFF to ON(II) [engine OFF], does the cluster charging system warning light turn on and stay on?

Did you check the correct fuse for the dimmer switch?
No check engine light, I plugged it in and scanned it incase the light just wasnt lighting up. I took car to shop and they tested battery and alternator and said both are good.

I checked every single fuse under the dash. But so much of the wiring under the dash is ghetto and custom. The PO had all kinds of random stuff wired up.

aaron48838

How? Give details on the test used.

Please also answer these questions:
I used a fuse tester and pulled each out 1 by 1 and tested.

I believe I checked correct dimmer switch fuse. Also, I will check tomorrow and see if the warning light stays on or goes off.

Thank you

aaron48838

This is the ugly mess I'm dealing with. I've removed about 15 feet of random wire already. This is whats left. It was all exposed wire, I taped it all up until I can figure out what it goes to and either remove it or fix it.

I have a feeling my problem is somewhere in this mess...

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
Holy rats nest Batman... that person should be shot...

Sent from my boujea ass phone