My engine temperature gage fluctuates while driving

Terri Warren

My engine temperature gage fluctuates while I'm driving, but the engine is NOT overheating. It can go all the way up to red, but if I keep driving, it will go back down again. It is a 2001 Civic EX. What can the problem be, and what will be the least expensive way to correct it?

Terri Warren

Top off the radiator and reservoir with coolant and then bleed the cooling system.
I'll see how much my mechanic will charge to do it. I'm disabled, on a fixed income, and can't do it myself.

Terri Warren

Is this fix to remove an air pocket in the cooling system?

nino

My engine temperature gage fluctuates while I'm driving, but the engine is NOT overheating. It can go all the way up to red, but if I keep driving, it will go back down again. It is a 2001 Civic EX. What can the problem be, and what will be the least expensive way to correct it?

I've learn that a pocket of air can be within. this can be fixed by just raising the car from the front and remove the radiator cap. and top of with coolant. wait for the air to come out and add more coolant. repeat the process until all the air is out.

Terri Warren

That's exactly what the problem was, but my mechanic did what you said, and the problem is fixed now. He came to do something else, and he added this for free. Thanks for the help!:D