Intermittent scraping noise coming from engine bay

Riverflow226

Hello I have a 97 hatch with a problem I cannot identify. Occasionally (it has happened twice this week) when I put my car into neutral and come to a stop (from about 55 mph) there will be a scraping noise coming from the engine bay. The shift nob will vibrate and it will feel as though something has shifted sideways. The noise is unaffected by pressing in the clutch, and the car goes into gear fine and grabs normally. Once I accelerate (back up to highway speed) and come to a stop again the problem is gone. Some background info on car: it has the y7 motor (replaced last year) with mystery miles, it has stock transmission and oem clutch. It used to have an idle air control system problem but that went away when winter came. Tranny is the one it came off the lot with, third gear occasionally pops out and when shifting from 5th to 4th it grinds slightly, but the gears have been that way since I bought the car. Oil is changed regularly and there are no flakes or discoloration in it.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Being intermittent makes it tougher, especially since it has only happened twice.
At first i thought, input shaft bearing, but being it only happened twice, has me thinking it's not.
Are you sure the scraping is coming from the engine bay?

Riverflow226

Ok an update guys, the car took a s**t today.... not sure what yet though. I am a student and next week is finals so I will not be able to tear into the engine until later. I will definitely let you guys know when I find out what’s going on