New to Hondas but not to forums

jvspecv

Hi all! I’m new to the Honda scene but no stranger to modding vehicles. I’m originally a Nissan guy but while I’m having a motor swap done on my Sentra, I figured I’d dabble in the Civic world. I knew they were fairly easy to mod personally so I thought I would check the forums for how to’s and mod lists. I’m starting to gather that I have stumbled upon the bastard child of the Civic world. I bought an ‘01 Civic LX and it already has an intake, CD player, amp, subs, and tein adjustables. Other than that, this thing is still stock. I’m searching the forum for aftermarket parts or conversions but I cannot find anything for my model. I’ve tried the search option and it’s not turning up anything definitive. I’ve tried 01 Civic, LX, D17A1......can someone point me in the right direction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I bought an ‘01 Civic LX.
Save your time and money, run it as a simple daily driver, enjoy it for what it is.
One of the most undesirable Civics of the past decade.
That motor has nearly nothing to do with prior d-series motors and the cost vs. benefit for the aftermarket isn't there.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I’m starting to gather that I have stumbled upon the bastard child of the Civic world. I bought an ‘01 Civic LX
Yep. Those 7th gen D-series cars don't have a lot of simple mods. Your best bet is an all-or-nothing type thing. Aka leave as is, or do a full engine swap with a K-series motor... which is a LOT of work compared to swapping on other Civic models.

jvspecv

Yep. Those 7th gen D-series cars don't have a lot of simple mods. Your best bet is an all-or-nothing type thing. Aka leave as is, or do a full engine swap with a K-series motor... which is a LOT of work compared to swapping on other Civic models.
At this point, I’m not lookin to go full on race car in a $3k beater. I would be more interested in suspension/brake mods that actually work. Finding good, used suspension stuff and brake stuff is pretty hard in the Nissan world.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
At this point, I’m not lookin to go full on race car in a $3k beater. I would be more interested in suspension/brake mods that actually work. Finding good, used suspension stuff and brake stuff is pretty hard in the Nissan world.

What do you mean by "that actually work"? I guess what are your overall goals? Looking for a drop in height? Looking for better handling? Looking to dump it low?

Are you looking for adjustable ride height (coilovers) or fixed ride height (strut/spring combo). I strongly suggest coilovers if you drive the car all year round and get decent amounts of snow.

Personally, I have Tein Street Advance coiliovers... a step up from your entry level ones. I'm quite happy with them. I can stiffen then up for autocross or spirited driving, and can soften them for normal driving.

jvspecv

What do you mean by "that actually work"? I guess what are your overall goals? Looking for a drop in height? Looking for better handling? Looking to dump it low?

Are you looking for adjustable ride height (coilovers) or fixed ride height (strut/spring combo). I strongly suggest coilovers if you drive the car all year round and get decent amounts of snow.

Personally, I have Tein Street Advance coiliovers... a step up from your entry level ones. I'm quite happy with them. I can stiffen then up for autocross or spirited driving, and can soften them for normal driving.

Pretty much, whatever makes it handle/stop better. I have TEIN’s as well so it does sit low. I’m just not looking to set my camber from m factory to hovercraft. Strut braces, tie bars, sway bars, larger calipers, etc.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Pretty much, whatever makes it handle/stop better. I have TEIN’s as well so it does sit low. I’m just not looking to set my camber from m factory to hovercraft. Strut braces, tie bars, sway bars, larger calipers, etc.

All should be easy to find, with maybe the exception of larger calipers. You're going to pay $ for those unless you find them used..

jvspecv

All should be easy to find, with maybe the exception of larger calipers. You're going to pay $ for those unless you find them used..
I’m looking for all used items........I’m not dumping thousands of dollars into new handling/braking parts.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That's probably something you should have stated in the beginning.

Hit up Craigslist or Honda Tech classified. Search 7th gen Civic parts or something. Terms such as D17A1 is irrelevant as that's the motor stamp, not a chassis code. 04-05 suspension parts may be different than 01-03 parts. Bolts that mount the front struts to the hub are different sizes. Not sure about Si parts.

jvspecv

That's probably something you should have stated in the beginning.

Hit up Craigslist or Honda Tech classified. Search 7th gen Civic parts or something. Terms such as D17A1 is irrelevant as that's the motor stamp, not a chassis code. 04-05 suspension parts may be different than 01-03 parts. Bolts that mount the front struts to the hub are different sizes. Not sure about Si parts.
I figured the 01 LX gave it away.

jvspecv

How poor are you when you conclude that used brake parts are a viable option? Even the shitty Civic econobox, death trap demands proper maintance to ensure a modicum of safety.

Buy a bicycle!

=)
Used brake pros, brembo, or stop tech calipers aren’t a deal worth looking for?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I figured the 01 LX gave it away.

Nope. I buy new parts for my 02 RSX all the time. s**t, you can even get brand new early 90's Civic parts off the ClubCivic store. :lol:

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
What’s the point? Reliable brakes are just an unnecessary luxury item!

=)
Thats whats my x-box said when she parked my hatch under a schoolbus... i was thinkin at work today im gonna start a tread about such, just need a few beers to not bring me back to that state of mind... o/p sry to tread jack, so lets see some pics of said rsx, i stopped with my bubble right before a K swap.

Sent from my boujea ass phone

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Used brembo, or stop tech calipers aren’t a deal worth looking for?
For the time you'd waste looking for used units, Id' just buy new.
BUT, I wouldn't waste time on the 7th gen Civic platform anyway.
Save your money for the Nissan.