96romaCX.. back in a hatch, 1990std

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Whats up CC, well, i seem to as of late be coming across outstanding deals that in my current finacial position and age am now able to jump on them when they're worth it.
Enter: 1990 Civic STD
10455.png

Last edited:

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So, I would see this car at an autoparts store often on my commute to work. Well, one day I stopped there to pick up some mobil 1 oil for my 2015 scion frs, and i asked about the car to the employees on duty.
Turns out, it was the assistant manager's daily beater, whom was working this day. I asked if she would consider selling it and she replied it had just went up for sale on facebook, and she needed it gone.
We exchanged info and long story short I was driving off in my "new"EF hatch for a measly 600$.
Its the 4 spd STD model, with 270k miles but EVERYTHING IS THERE. It uses about a quart of oil a week, but it drives super good.

Last edited:

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
First things first, I've named him Baxter, into my 3rd week of ownership, ive been trying to find the time here and there to dig into this car and get it thoroughly, deeply, CLEANED.

Though this car has been adult owned its entire life as a daily, it's been treated as such. I pulled clumps food out of the interior, with hair and trash, and the outside seems to have never been washed ever. Im surprised the paint is still there. The roof clear is begining to fail, but its nothing a couple layers of paint sealant can't slow down.
After what seemed like an hour long hand washing, I dried the car and inspected the rear quarters and undercarriage. ZERO RUST ANYWHERE. even the factory exhaust looks fairly decent.
Then i applied a thorough layer of Solution Finish trim restorer. I knew it was good stuff, but DAYUM. The trim is now a clean matte black like stock and so much newer looking than it did with the washed out grey. received_2036625329902589.jpeg

Last edited:

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The following weekend I was able to locate and pick up a passenger side view mirror, an Si cluster with Tachometer, and an unmolested Si harness.

Then I took the seats out snd started the process of cleaning the interior. I removed the seats and threw all the larger peices of garbage out. Then vacuumed the living crap out of it. 20171129_125611.jpg

Last edited:

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
Awesome find, pics not working for me but wanting to see? What part of these great states did you find it in with no rust? Whats the plan, dd, weekend warrior, scca car?? Looking forward to updates on this one.

Sent from my boujea ass phone

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I still have alot to clean in the interior, but I wanted to get the bulk of filth out. Also sanded and prepped/sprayed the door window trim and door sashes satin black with krylon rattle can. Its not perfect, but the car isn't a show car. Its all one color again so im good lol. 20171129_125630.jpg 20171129_125652.jpg 20171129_125719.jpg

Last edited:

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Awesome find, pics not working for me but wanting to see? What part of these great states did you find it in with no rust? Whats the plan, dd, weekend warrior, scca car?? Looking forward to updates on this one.

Sent from my boujea ass phone

Im in NC, and with as little snow as we get here in the foot hills, its not uncommon to find a chassis rust free. But for this ones age, yeah I was surprised.

Goals are DD, weekend warrior type beat the crap out of it beater lol. Going with a bone stock dohc ZC swap from hmotors hopefully at tax time.

Last edited:

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Plans this weekend are to remove the front seats again, finish cleaning every single panel and applying some matte finish protectant dressing. Clean the glass on the inside, then pull the wiper arms off for paint, and claybar, polish, then seal the ancient suzuka blue paint. I dont mind the little odd dents and faded interior, it gives Baxter character. I just want to make sure hes clean to my standards though. Cleaning the car is a great way to stay motivated while saving for more parts. It also makes for disbelief when I tell people what I paid for the car, plus how old he is. More updates hopefully this Saturday with more detailed pics, so far everything I've done has been in a rush. Oh, and i still have my EG sedan, Gerald, hes now just retired to simply work commuter duty and regular simple maintenance.

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Finally got finished cleaning Baxter from top to bottom. Friday night the car cut off completely at a stop light and I kept trying to turn it over but it wouldnt idle.
The next day when I go back for him at the gas station I pushed him to, my buddy just happened to be there and diagnosed the issue on the spot. Bad ignition switch. So we spliced a scrap wire into the harness and to start it up i twist them together and bump the ignition.
New ignition switch is on the way maybe wed or thurs, but for now heres the end results of my battle against filth and negligence. 20171203_172032.jpg 20171203_172056.jpg 20171203_172123.jpg

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had one exactly like this!
It was gutless since it's only a 4spd with maybe 60hp to the wheels, but it was reliable.
Honda sure loved to color match the interior back then, which is god awful.
If i had one of these again, since I love this exterior color, I'd def covert to the black & grey interior, upgrade to SI front and rear seats, upgrade to the Dx/Si shifter console, lower add on console below the radio, color match the bumpers and mirrors and get the red center tail light section.

Great find for $600!

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I had one exactly like this!
It was gutless since it's only a 4spd with maybe 60hp to the wheels, but it was reliable.
Honda sure loved to color match the interior back then, which is god awful.
If i had one of these again, since I love this exterior color, I'd def covert to the black & grey interior, upgrade to SI front and rear seats, upgrade to the Dx/Si shifter console, lower add on console below the radio, color match the bumpers and mirrors and get the red center tail light section.

Great find for $600!
Thanks buddy, unfortunately the car died on me once again after the new ignition switch install. I was driving and the engine started stumbling on itself and then cut out completely. I came to a stop and tried to crank it back over but it wouldnt start. I hear the main relay and fuel pump, and the engine putts wjen turning over but wont fire up. I think it may be the ICM or ignition coil. Module ordered and on the way, then gonna buy a coil if this doesnt fix it.
I dont wanna throw too much money at this engine cause its getting yanked out at tax time for a jdm d15b vtec swap a buddy of mine is selling out of his rex for cheap. Comes with everything including hydro trans. If monies are still available hopefully some F&F type 1s and some rota track rs with sprint hart cpr stickers will be thrown on for good measure.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dont wanna throw too much money at this engine cause its getting yanked out at tax time for a jdm d15b vtec swap a buddy of mine is selling out of his rex for cheap.
Don't forget, you'll need to do MPFI wiring for your car before you swap that motor in.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i am am VERY well aware of what modifications will be needed to fit the swap in. this isnt my first rodeo man.
That may be, but I don't know what you know or don't know.
Many people aren't even aware of the difference.

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I gotcha, thanks for looking out and checking out this thread as well. I wasn't trying to run you off or anything. I'm a 32 year old enthusiast from the late 90's, I've seen it all :beer: