Can you use an exhaust for an EX on a DX, if you use a test pipe along with it?

xxValiumxx

^title.

I want to get an exhaust for my 1996 DX (y'know, the one with the D16Y7 and the integrated header/cat) and I was wondering if an exhaust for an EX would fit, if one were to use a test pipe meant for eliminating the cat on an EX. That's how the magnaflow offering seems to be, but I wanted to see if anyone else has experience here.

EDIT: I guess I should be clear and say that I want to retain the factory header, and just do a catback setup.

Last edited:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So you want to take the cat out and replace with test pope? For some reason I remember the cat and exhaust manifold coming as one piece and you cannot separate them. If you can, sure, replace it with a test pipe if that's what you want (you won't pass CA emissions though??)

I would recommend getting an EX header and get a high flow cat. You may just need to extend the o2 sensor wires for them to reach.

http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/diy-6th-gen-lx-dx-cx-hx-to-ex-exhaust-conversion.222404/

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^title.

I want to get an exhaust for my 1996 DX (y'know, the one with the D16Y7 and the integrated header/cat) and I was wondering if an exhaust for an EX would fit, if one were to use a test pipe meant for eliminating the cat on an EX. That's how the magnaflow offering seems to be, but I wanted to see if anyone else has experience here.

EDIT: I guess I should be clear and say that I want to retain the factory header, and just do a catback setup.
You can't because the common cat-back set ups are made for cars that have the catalytic converter farther downstream and not integrated onto the exhaust manifold, like the Dx has.
In order to use a common, off the shelf system, you'd have to swap completely over to the Ex system, from exhaust manifold back.
The Dx and Ex use two different exhausts as you can see below, the Dx is the top one, Ex is the the lower illustration.
The Cx/Dx/Hx (top one) use a completely different "B" pipe, it's longer than what the Ex (bottom exhaust illustration) uses.

Last edited:

xxValiumxx

You can't because the common cat-back set ups are made for cars that have the catalytic converter farther downstream and not integrated onto the exhaust manifold, the the Dx has.
The Cx/Dx/Hx (top one) use a completely different "B" pipe, it's longer than what the Ex (bottom exhaust illustration) uses.
Yeah, That's what I was trying to get at; I suppose the question would be better stated as,

"Is the length and rough shape of the EX B-pipe and EX cat equal to that of a DX B pipe?"

I mean, I'll bust out the welder if I have to. :P
No, I want to keep the cat that's there.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
"Is the length and rough shape of the EX B-pipe and EX cat equal to that of a DX B pipe?"
In theory, it should be, but I don't know for a fact.
I would venture to guess they are reasonably close but wouldn't be surprised if you may have to do a bit of welding, whether it be adding on or cutting a bit off.

xxValiumxx

okay, well some questions have been answered with the arrival of a catback setup advertised as fitting BOTH a DX and EX. The difference is a short length of pipe with a couple of flanges on it with a total length of ~52mm. Presumably you would use both the test pipe and this lengthener bit to extend the B-pipe to fit.

It doesn't really matter as I wound up only using the muffler which bolted right up to the OEM exhaust. I had a look inside the 'resonator' on the new piping and it's just a bit of pipe that flares out. I'm not gonna put that on, no matter how polished and shiny it may be.

SPL is 80-83 dBA and this is what it ends up sounding like

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A little too high pitched rasp for my liking, and that outlet pipe could use a drop in diameter.
But now you found out how they differ.
A typical cat back system will not fit all trim models within the 96-00 Civic.

Last edited:

xxValiumxx

A little too high pitched rasp for my liking, and that outlet pipe could use a drop in diameter.
But now you found out how they differ.
A typical cat back system will not for all trim models within the 96-00 Civic.
And that's why I've taken it off. After a 6hour trip at highway speed, it was unbearable.