Should I replace the rack & pinion and tie rod ends on my 2000 Honda Civic EX?

Should I replace the rack & pinion and tie rod ends on my 2000 Honda Civic EX?

• Replace the rack & pinion assembly and radiator and continue to drive the car

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's a money pit at this point. Get rid of it while you can

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Toby Wall

Hi guys,

I’m an owner of a 2000 Honda Civic EX with approximately 241,700 miles on the odometer. I’ve had the car since 2005 and have recently decided to upgrade to a newer vehicle and keep the Civic as an extra commuter/beater car. After taking the Civic to the shop due to a clunking noise coming from the front end while driving (especially on bumpy roads), it was found out that the tie rods are pretty much shot. In fact, the entire rack & pinion assembly will need to be replaced as it has been leaking for some time, but it’s been a slow, manageable leak. Other issues found by the technician include worn, leaking front struts and a leaking radiator, all of which will need to be replaced sometime soon.

Other existing issues include bad rear bushings, oil leaks from the engine (rear main seal and possibly oil pump) and a leaking clutch master cylinder.

I do my maintenance as far as fluid and filter changes, and anything else within reason to make it safe and drivable. At this point, with the car being nearly 18 years old, I’m not going to throw several thousand dollars into it to make it perfect again, especially with the body in bad shape from dings and dents acquired over the years along with paint fading and peeling away. However, I’d like to continue driving it for local travel. The engine, transmission and air conditioning are all still pretty solid, so I’m not sure if I should give up on it yet.

My question is this car worth keeping if I just take care of the radiator and rack & pinion replacement (with tie rods) for now? Or will I see this becoming more of a money pit as time goes on? Also, has anyone experienced any mechanical repercussions following the replacement of the rack & pinion assembly and tie rod ends (such as a failing power steering pump later on)?

Like I said, I plan on using this car to do local travel and drive no more than 7500 miles a year. I have to make a decision this week when I purchase my other car on whether to trade it in or not. They’re only offering me $500, so basically scrap value.

I should also note that all the radiator hoses were replaced a year ago and the struts 67k miles ago (I know it’s time for them). Lower front control arm bushings were recently replaced and the upper front bushings about 24k miles ago. The engine, clutch, transmission and all air conditioning components except for the refrigerant hose are original.

Additionally, I should note that I'm not in a position to major suspension repair myself. I live in a condo community with an HOA and have no access to a garage. Doing this type of work in the parking lot with car on jack stands isn't going to fly.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can offer some insight.

Jrose152

I'd do the tie rod inner and outer(Just ordered some from napa, the chassis series has lifetime warrenty and are oem spec/improved over oem) for like 212$ for both sides. You can rent the tool(make sure they give you the adapter pieces as well) from local parts shops to remove the inner tire rod. The rack is a bigger job but you should be fine doing the tie rod ends.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
To summarize, an 18 yr old Civic with nearly 1/4 million miles on it, with dents, dings and paint peeling.
It needs quite a bit of work, none of which you can do yourself.
Conclusion, you already have a newer vehicle, sell the old Civic, advertise it and throw a $1k asking price on it,

I'd do the tie rod inner and outer.
As the OP stated, this probably isn't practical for them....

I live in a condo community with an HOA and have no access to a garage. Doing this type of work in the parking lot with car on jack stands isn't going to fly.