'00 Civic blowing blue smoke

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
doesn't really matter 99% of the compression tester goes in where the plug goes in and you just crank it. I don't how else your gonna find your compression your cylinders would have to be filled up. Also i had a car in the that had rings start to go bad after xxx,xxx miles it blows bluish smoke when you open your throttle

OP has a D16Y8. What do you have?

What were the conditions of your test versus the OP's?
all my d16 that i had in the past never had compression lower then 210, all my friends car never had any compression less then 220, (B series). I have a H22a with F22b sohc block, my internals are not stock either but are brand new. my old car that thad worn rings had 135psi

Last edited by a moderator:

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Engine and conditions of compression test matter a lot with respect to cylinder PSI readings. :beer:
yea in terms of if the conditon is no good it obivously will have problems. f it was done when the engine was fully warmed up and it reading 125 i bet you money that when the motor is stone cold it would read
Engine and conditions of compression test matter a lot with respect to cylinder PSI readings. :beer:

There's more to a properly done compression test than this^.
not as much in a way your trying to make it out to be. you don't have to have mix readings be certain that its bad rings sometimes one rings wears down more then the other rings in the other cylinder. sometimes all the rings wears down at the same rate. OP stated that hes also experiencing lost of power.... that right there with blueish smoke blowing out the exhaust is a 2 major indication of worn rings. no reason to keep beating around the damn bush about it.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Diana,

A proper compression test is done with a fully warm engine, a minimum cranking rpm at wide open throttle, and the fuel injectors disabled. In addition, if bad rings are suspected, then two separate tests must be compared (+/- oil added to cylinder).

Do you see where I'm going?

Until you have all the details, you can't properly interpret the PSI readings.
lol i guess you didn't seem to realize that i already knew where you was going from the jump. Gotta ask the OP how he did it, but any how you should have realized by now +/- oil added won't bring it up that much maybe about 5-15psi more but his numbers are way low to begin. Either way he did it his numbers still showed up very low and it still won't change the fact. All it would do is confirm the suspected problem even more. This argument is pointless and will go nowhere.

daperez13

Respected
I feel like this thread is going 100 mph and only a handful of comments here, have provided valid input. Let's slow down a little and ask a few more questions.

1) To the OP - Take your time to provide pertinent information and important details. Also, please, please run a freaking spell check if you're not fluent in English. Be clear and to the point. Smoke does not boil! What is the problem, currently?

2) Hex has already asked this - What have you done to the engine since the problem occurred. You recently stated that it does not smoke anymore but stated that there's other issues with it.

3) Diana Nam is giving you valuable information here. If you have properly performed a compression test, then the findings will give you a hint as to what the issue might be. Did you perform the compression test according to a repair manual or reliable instructions? Have you added oil to the combustion chambers and repeated the test? If so, did the readings change?

4) Mmo also suggested something useful - Perform a leak-down test to further diagnose any leaks. Have you done this yet?

5) How many miles does the car have? When you purchased the vehicle, did it have this issue or did it happen after you changed something?

Chances are, pistons and/or valve guides are worn out but there's tons of possible causes. Could also be a blown head gasket. The leak-down test will confirm what the culprit is (or at least point you in the right direction) and you may not have to perform a complete rebuild.

daperez13

Respected
Given that the compression test failed to reveal a compression issue, what would you expect to learn from a leakdown test?

Like Diana, why ignore the fact that only spark plug #4 had oil on it?
The compression test did not fail to reveal a compression issue, yet. Why are you so adamant about this?

The leak-down test is an additional diagnostic step that can be performed to pin-point leak issues, as the name suggests. Besides, who indicated that spark plug number 4 was irrelevant? This is actually an indication that it could be an issue that has been suggested before. Or it could simply be a worn gasket. Does he have a misfire on that cylinder? Does he have a CEL?

The fact that you're dismissing the compression test results without the OP's response to having performed a correct compression test doesn't mean that you are correct. The compression readings that he obtained are in fact on the low side! Just because they are consistent across all four cylinders doesn't mean that there is no issue there.

But let's allow the OP to provide his findings so we can try and help him get his car back on the road, unless you wish to continue assuming...

daperez13

Respected
And as I pointed out to Diana, neither of you know whether 125 PSI is actually low because you don't know how the test was done.
Fair enough, but neither do you.

For example, at this point, a leaking valve seal in cylinder 4 seems like a much better fit than worn piston rings, right?
Yes, that's why I'm trying to obtain more information from the OP, as you have done a much better job on this post.

Is some of the smoke from the exhaust pipe potentially due to an exhaust leak causing the engine to run rich?

If there's an external oil leak, where's it coming from?
Now this is more constructive and helps the OP look for possible causes/issues.

williammw20

Well I added stuff to the oil once I changed it at 165,xxx. It doesn't smoke anymore, and it has very poor throttle response & not much power though. I got 125 across the cylinders before I added this, once I added it I checked again several days later & got 180 across. Sorry it takes so long for me to respond, I'm always busy working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

williammw20

No this is not what I referred too, I'm not ignorant. My car takes 5w-30 motor oil. I added that Rislone just recently to just attempt and stop the smoke temporarily & get me by till I get everything I need to rebuild the head & block.

williammw20

Drove home from work one day, noticed the car wasn't accelerating as usual so I got home, started checking things under the hood, the tps has always been a problem. I checked the oil, it was low, I looked for a leak around valve cover & exhaust, was no leak at that time from what I could see. I added oil got it to my house. The car sat up as I was constantly working & didn't have any days off. Finally got days off & I changed the oil, the plugs & added that Rislone in with the oil. As I was changing the oil I cleaned the oil pan with a rag after I'd removed the oil filter to see if the oil pan gasket was bad. When I poured the new oil in I found the gasket bad, I replaced that. The Rislone said results my be immediately or several days (Several days it was) now the car doesn't smoke. But it is weak. The motor doesn't sound like it's missing on any cylinders sounds like it's running fine it doesn't just have any power & acceleration when you engage the throttle. & it being rebuilt would ensure that it's reliable, that's all.

williammw20

The oil loss was gradual I suppose, I mean I'd just found out I had a bad oil pan gasket. And I noticed smoke coming from the exhaust and under the hood after I added oil (because it was low) & I haven't cleared the codes I just got auto zone to pull them for me so that's what I know as if right now. I'll clear the codes this Friday when I'm off again & im replacing the tps