'00 Civic door lock issue

chancie howell

Back story : So in November my 00 mazda protégé was totaled by a Tahoe.... and ive been trying to get my 00 hunda civic titled in Georgia" got it from brother , he fixed it . it was a salvaged car that was titled in California "....... I was just able to register my old license plate to this one on Friday...

Question: So this car has that stupid thing where you have to lift the door handle on the driver door to be able to lock it, it there something I can do to fix that? I hate it....

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Write titles pertinent to your issue so you receive helpful attention. Ill edit it for you.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The back story is irrelevant to your question....wondering why we needed it.

Question: So this car has that stupid thing where you have to lift the door handle on the driver door to be able to lock it, it there something I can do to fix that? I hate it....
It's really more or less to help prevent people from accidentally locking their keys in the car.
I'm not sure why it's such a large inconvenience though, it literally doesn't take that much more time.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
honda designed it that way so you'll be using to key more often to lock the doors. it also their way of getting the owners to avoid situations where you lock your self out of the car.

dancam

Registered VIP
It's really more or less to help prevent people from accidentally locking their keys in the car.
I'm not sure why it's such a large inconvenience though, it literally doesn't take that much more time.
It is actually hugely inconvenient. Same thing on my 02 civic. My daily driver doesnt have this so i never get used to it. If you formed a habit it wouldnt be so bad, but the problem is that i quite often have to get out of the car with my hands full. So i do that but i cant just simply push down on the lock so i have to put everything back down, lock it, pick everything back up and then get out. Stupidest thing ever. If you formed a habit to open your door, lock it with both hands, then grab all your stuff to get out it would be fine, but who wants to do that when its really cold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you install an aftermarket car alarm you can lock it with one button press, as long as the door is closed the door handle doesn't have to be pulled to lock the door

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
@dancam thats how most people end up forgetting the keys in the car and then you realize you left it in your locked car when your about to go and open your door. happened soo many times with the mustang i used to own they just have those knobs that moves up or down when the door locks lock or unlock.

dancam

Registered VIP
I dont see how it makes a difference, ive done it once in each and ive driven the other car 5 or 6 times farther/longer. I dont see how its any different than having automatic locks and just having to hit a button. But if needing 2 hands to lock your door reminds some people to grab their key then ok.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
I dont see how it makes a difference, ive done it once in each and ive driven the other car 5 or 6 times farther/longer. I dont see how its any different than having automatic locks and just having to hit a button. But if needing 2 hands to lock your door reminds some people to grab their key then ok.

your going to remember to take your keys most of the time regardless but its about those days where your forget. plus this is a civic we are talking about didn't have half the s**t most 35-50k cars had been equiped with...

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you formed a habit to open your door, lock it with both hands, then grab all your stuff to get out it would be fine, but who wants to do that when its really cold?
OMG, god forbid we have to change a habit, alter what we do, or be slightly inconvenienced.
Yikes.....

dancam

Registered VIP
OMG, god forbid we have to change a habit, alter what we do, or be slightly inconvenienced.
Yikes.....
6 out of every 7 times i drive there is no need to. And again, why would you want to open your door in -20 or -30 for a minute and freeze while you grab your stuff if there is no need to for a whole week- 12 times in a row so that you have that habit for the 2 times on sunday that i drive that civic? If i drove the civic every day that habit would obviously be no problem. Inconveniences are fine, this Is an inconvenience for no reason. I still have no idea how it would remind you to grab your keys.... Its pointless. There is no benefit to the inconvenience, its not cheaper, easier, simpler, lighter, better looking or more useful. Its just dumb.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
6 out of every 7 times i drive there is no need to. And again, why would you want to open your door in -20 or -30 for a minute and freeze while you grab your stuff if there is no need to for a whole week- 12 times in a row so that you have that habit for the 2 times on sunday that i drive that civic? If i drove the civic every day that habit would obviously be no problem. Inconveniences are fine, this Is an inconvenience for no reason. I still have no idea how it would remind you to grab your keys.... Its pointless. There is no benefit to the inconvenience, its not cheaper, easier, simpler, lighter, better looking or more useful. Its just dumb.

well that would and can back fire on you and make it even worse cause if you lock your self out and its -30 outside the situation is gonna turn worst. i would rather use the key and never ever have to even think about that ever then come to a situation like that during winter time might not be as bad in the summer since the weather is much hotter..

same basic principle as having a condom in your wallet....

Last edited by a moderator:

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
:domollama:lololol this cracked me up LMAO
my friend used to do a another trick where he hides the spare key underside of the car somewhere in case it happens so he'll always have spare key to open his door and drive home should something happen...