'00 Civic Electrical issue

williammw20

Car was running fine then radio started cutting on and off, then gauges stop working, battery light popped up, I changed oil about two weeks ago & she has a brand new alternator as well & now that she's turned off I can't even get her to turn over, any help? Need her going by Monday honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jackdog1

Car was running fine then radio started cutting on and off, then gauges stop working, battery light popped up, I changed oil about two weeks ago & she has a brand new alternator as well & now that she's turned off I can't even get her to turn over, any help? Need her going by Monday honestly.

Obvious question, are you sure your battery is good? I'd check all the wires and grounds, and maybe clean the battery contacts.

williammw20

Not sure if it's good but the car has been running fine until just recently this incident, the battery contacts are clean & grounds are secure

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Is your alternator belt still there?check the date stamp on your battery for a general idea what shape it's in, usually last 3-5 years.

MotorMo

Respected
The battery is primary used as a compositor for your alternator to store voltage, and to power the starter upon start up. The alternator is the device that powers your car while running. So much so, you can disconnect the battery from a running car and the car will still run. If these symptoms happened while the car was running, the alternator (new, or not) would be the first place to check. Also check your Alt fuse to make sure that didn't "pop". If your battery has been "deep cycled" due to loss of alt assistance while continuing to drive, then your battery may also be fried, but this would result in a no crank situation, instead of a died while driving one.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
@williammw20 Also, check fuse 15 under the dash... this is a pretty common issue.

If this is the case, replace fuse 15. If it blows again, you have the Honda IM bracket issue seen here:

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/civic/x99-029e.pdf

Wires rub against the IM bracket and causes a short, fuse 15 will blow repeatedly, and you'll get the symptoms you describe.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Check your cables on the alternator, primarily the ground cable. If they're not tight enough or shook even slightly loose then it could cause your issues.

I changed your title from "Car problems" which is far too vague, and I added your car info. In the future, make sure to include your car info somewhere. Otherwise, its difficult to make suggestions when people don't know what car you're referring to.

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
I would check your connection at the alternator to see if it's tight and you should also perform a voltage drop on that cable. If the positive cable and/or negative cable have an excessive voltage drop (excessive resistance) then it can cause abnormal electrical issue and cause a no start. Also, just because the alternator is new doesn't mean that it didn't go bad, it happens.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I agree with Thendi. What brand of alternator did you get, and from where? Or is it a rebuilt alternator? Its not at all uncommon for an alternator bought at an auto parts store to fault. I personally prefer getting the original alternator rebuilt. It tends to be less expensive and last longer.