'00 Civic: oil issue

brittanyklamp

I have a 2000 honda civic lx stick shift...I was wondering why my car isn't holding oil....it's not leaking out and smoke isn't coming out of my tail pipe so I figured it wasn't burning it...it held oil until I did the first oil change on it and since then it won't hold...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

dancam

Registered VIP
You mean the engine oil not the transmission right? And by not holding oil you mean that the level drops on the dipstick over time?
How long after you shut it off are you waiting to check it? You need to wait at least 10min to get an accurate reading. The space between add and full on the dipstick is one litre. So how many kilometres/ miles do you have to drive to use how much oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daperez13

Respected
Sorry brittanyklam, but you do have to be a little more specific about what you mean by not "holding oil". FYI, just because it's not leaking or smoking doesn't mean it doesn't burn oil. Most cars burn oil to some degree, more so those that have high mileage. Did you do the oil change yourself? Be sure to only add the recommended amount (I believe it's like 3.5qts with filter change) and not overfill it.

Either you have a leak (should be an obvious one) or you're simply not reading the dipstick correctly. Or maybe from the time you did the oil change until the time you checked the oil again, it burned a significant amount. Which would probably indicate worn rings. Clarify a bit more so that we can try and be more helpful.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
You need to wait at least 10min to get an accurate reading.
This is actually quite inaccurate. After performing an oil change you can see the correct oil level immediately after cycling the engine for a few seconds. This allows the engine to prime the system to the proper oil pressure and filling all passages. At this point you make take a second look at the dipstick after wiping off the stick for a clean reading. Ensure the oil level is at the top full line, if its not then add as needed until it touches the top line.

dancam

Registered VIP
This is actually quite inaccurate. After performing an oil change you can see the correct oil level immediately after cycling the engine for a few seconds. This allows the engine to prime the system to the proper oil pressure and filling all passages. At this point you make take a second look at the dipstick after wiping off the stick for a clean reading. Ensure the oil level is at the top full line, if its not then add as needed until it touches the top line.
Nope. Most dipstick holes are in an oil return passage so good luck reading it right after you shut it off regardless. Cold oil like when you change it takes a while to drain from the head, maybe 5 min minimum to be accurate, hot oil maybe a bit faster but its easier to read the dipstick with cold oil. If you add oil because it doesn't read full before the head has drained you will overfill it which is a lot worse than being 1/2 a litre low.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Nope. Most dipstick holes are in an oil return passage so good luck reading it right after you shut it off regardless. Cold oil like when you change it takes a while to drain from the head, maybe 5 min minimum to be accurate, hot oil maybe a bit faster but its easier to read the dipstick with cold oil. If you add oil because it doesn't read full before the head has drained you will overfill it which is a lot worse than being 1/2 a litre low.

What you are speaking of is a cold oil level. You want to have the oil to read near or at the top mark when the engine is running. This allows for optimal oil level above the pickup. Between .5-1.0qt of oil can be flowing through an engine while its running. Being 2-3+ qts over the maximum is when crankshaft will start hitting the oil and causing froth. Aerated oil can cause serious cavitation and accelerated wear. (Forgot the technical term). Thats another reason why there is a splash guard covering the oil, its not there to protect the crankshaft. its there to protect the from returning oil splashing down into the pool causing aeration.

It is not uncommon to see a higher oil level when the engine is cold and most the oil has settled to the tank.

Also its recommended to change your oil when its at operating temperature, the faster moving oil will carry more oil and foreign particulates out with it versus when its cold.

Last edited by a moderator:

daperez13

Respected
Some vehicles do have a cold and hot reading, however, probably most Civics and Accords do not. I believe the manual does recommend that you warm up the car before draining the oil but I doubt you want to have 1qt of excess oil in your engine. Maybe if you live or drive on really hilly roads...?

dancam

Registered VIP
Lol, what vehicles have a hot and cold reading on the engine oil? Ive never seen that, only on transmission or p/s oil.
But anyway, what spooled said is right if you do not accelerate, brake, drive on hills, vary your rpm's or turn and you want more oil in there than the manufacturer intended. If you do any of those 5 things you'll want to not fill it past the full mark.
On a 01-05 civic with a D17 you have 0.6inches from the full mark to the crankshaft when the engine is perfectly level. My other car is less than that. That doesnt take much acceleration, braking, turning or driving on a slope to have the crankshaft hitting your oil if you kept it at 0.6 inches while running. Besides, whats the point of having a couple hundred ml extra oil in there if your just gonna foam and aerate it?
Also the baffles in the oil pan do not completely cover the oil, Not in civics anyway. There are there to prevent all the oil from sloshing so to keep it around the pickup screen which is quite a bit farther down that the add mark on your dipstick btw...
I have also never heard of anyone preheating their new oil before they pour it into their engine during an oil change. Each to their own i guess. Yes you do drain the oil hot but your not concerned about its level.

Last edited:

daperez13

Respected
Some Subarus and I believe some Toyotas, for instance, have hot and cold readings. There's a bit of controversy when it comes to checking oil levels with a hot or cold engine. Also, when performing an oil change. I've never heard of anyone heating the new oil prior to pouring it into the engine either. You are right though, to each their own.