'00 EX rough vibration at start-up

blueangelwolf24

I just bought a 2000 civic ex auto for my other half. It starts but has a wicked vibration. The guy I got it from said as he was driving he lost oil pressure and although the car ran it vibrated like crazy. Any suggestions on top of possibly the bearings being shot?

Sent from my LG-VS450PP using Tapatalk

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
If the crank or rod bearings are in bad condition you will know shortly. Once they are on their way they tend to fail rather quickly. I would try and figure out if it was just low oil versus sudden pressure loss.

Lastly, hope you didn't pay much for it.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I changed your title to be relevant to your issue as "Looking for answers" is way too vague & attracts limited attention.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Was anything claimed to have been repaired or inspected after the initial oill pressure drop occurrence?

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
If the crank or rod bearings are in bad condition you will know shortly. Once they are on their way they tend to fail rather quickly. I would try and figure out if it was just low oil versus sudden pressure loss.

Lastly, hope you didn't pay much for it.
wouldn't a lost of pressure be a indication of oil pump failure. usually low oil tend to make noise with the valvetrain since there will be lack of oil to lubricate the valvetrain most of the oil travel from the top to bottom

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
I just bought a 2000 civic ex auto for my other half. It starts but has a wicked vibration. The guy I got it from said as he was driving he lost oil pressure and although the car ran it vibrated like crazy. Any suggestions on top of possibly the bearings being shot?

Sent from my LG-VS450PP using Tapatalk
i second what spool said as well, and hope you got it for stupid dirt cheap... caause most likely that motor is no good and i don't think that motor will last you very long at all took my friend car 3 days before the motor completely sieged up on him

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
wouldn't a lost of pressure be a indication of oil pump failure. usually low oil tend to make noise with the valvetrain since there will be lack of oil to lubricate the valvetrain most of the oil travel from the top to bottom
It would make noise but the vibration could be a number of things. But if its related to low oil pressure it's most likely a failed rod bearing.

If its not at all related to an internal engine issue then I would say a failed engine mount.

@blueangelwolf24 do an oil change and run a magnet through the oil. See if you get a lot of metal flakes, if so then its a pretty done deal that its the crank or rod bearings. Take note of how much oil came out. If its clean, then fill it back up with new oil and filter. Crank it up and see what happens. If the vibration goes away then I would let it run for a while. Take it around the block and see how it performs.

Ideally I would just drop the oil pan but that will also include you taking the exhaust manifold off as well. This way you can get a good visual inspection of the pan and any metallic debris. You can also visually and physically inspect the crank and rod bearings as well. You can try and move the crank side to side to test the thrust bearing and also try to move the rod bearing in and out. If you get no play you should be good to go only as long as there is not metallic flakes in the pan.

Cliffsnotes, metallic flakes = bearing failure.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
well if the bottom end is good and low oil pressure/low oil cause noise in the head and rod knock makes loud clacking noise that get faster as you go up in the rpms but i don't they cause that much of a vibration had a bearing failure on my friend's LS hatch when we as on our way to a meet one time on rod number 2. vibration, probably have bad mounts

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Check all the motor mounts. Start with simple stuff first. Bad vibes can be caused by worn ignition components too. May be misfiring.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Start with the easy stuff... check the motor mounts. Easy check, open the hood and try to rock the crap out of the motor.. it should move slightly, but if you can get it rocking back and forth chances are you have a missing or torn mount somewhere and should be further inspected.

Second obvious thing to check... is there even enough oil in the system?

Also, when does the car vibrate? When idling, moving, or both? What about at a certain RPM? Does the vibration happen with a cold motor, warm motor (up to operating temp), or both?