'00 SI P0141 CEL, no cat, no o2 sensor *pics*

youngmanvr4

5+ Year Member
First off I am a new owner of a '00 SI and I love it. I picked it up last Tuesday. I love the car but there is a few things that need fixed.
Everything done to the car was that way when I bought it. I have not done any mods myself yet.

There is a really really small exhaust leak where the header meets the cat, or in this case test pipe. The top past of the flange on the test pipe is where the leak it. I've tried working of it but I cant get it to seal...yet.

The more annoying problem is the CEL I am throwing. Its a P0141 CEL. Which is O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2).
I did a couple hours of research but everything I found helped me with this.

I got under the car again today to try and fix the leak (failed) and look at the sensor when I noticed something. *Refer to pics*
I only have one O2 sensor it seems. Its right before the cat/test pipe. Like 4 inches. I thought the first sensor was toward the head/block before it makes the bend to go under the car.
So since I only have sensor 1 I was surprised I was throwing a P0141 heater Mal instead of something like a P0140 which would indicate that the sensor is bad or the cat is bad, or no sensor at all.

The exhaust system is a header that looks like a T1R header, T1R test pipe and Apex'i WS2 cat-back.

*Edit* Something else I had noticed is it feels a little sluggish. I dont know if throwing this code could cause this.

O2 sensor in header - header right test pipe left

Down the T1R test pipe

T1R test pipe and at the top left you can see a plug, my guess is this is the sensor 2 O2 plug?

T1R header

N/A D-Series

Banned
Sluggish? Why don't you drive an EX once and tell me your Si feels sluggish :lol:

umair

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
that is weird, from what i remember their is a one sensor befor and at the end of the cat. the check engine will never go away with a test pipe unless you get an o2 eliminator or if you get an obd2 to obd1 jumper harness and get an obd1 b16 ecu. i had a hi flow cat on my si and the check engine light never went away because of the cat.
post some pics of your si and vr-4.
a friendly word of advise get lo jack for your car, sis get stolen all the time(just look at my sig).
what are your plans for the car. i had a 9lbs flywheel on my si and it made it feel a little less sluggish, but it went no where going up hill, lol.

youngmanvr4

5+ Year Member
Well I did some research. Looks like I need to get a o2 to fix my cel. So either get a new test pipe (or cat) with a bung or get a bung and put it into my T1R pipe. And an o2 sensor with harness.

But I still dont undestand why I'm throwing a P0141 and not P0140.

I'll post pics of the vr-4 sometime.
But yeah maybe I'm just used to the power in my twin turbo'd vr-4, 3.5l 3000gt, HC 240SX, S14 SR20 240SX and my sprint cars lol. Used to too much power.

PS...will the P0141 cause loss of power and bad gas mileage or is it just a CEL to let you know that the o2 heater might be bad and does not effect performance and gas consumtion?