01 civic automatic transmission problems.

jitters0212

Ok so here we go. I never have an easy problem. So maybe someone can help.I have an 01 civic ex automatic with 200k on it. Last week the trannystarted making a whining noise. I checked the fluid and it was full and fairly clean as I change it about every 30k. Sure enough within about 50 miles it went out. The engine just revs like its in neutral. I towed it into my shop. And started called around for a used one. The cheapest one I found was $1100. Ive ran a garage for 25years and have rebuilt a lot of transmissions in that time. So I bought a kit and a reman converter. When I pulled it apart everything looked good. No metal chunks or clutch lining etc in the case. All the clutches looked good.so I got it running today.and topped it off with oil etc.. (and yes I filled the converter before I put it in).I ran it through all the gears while it was on the lift and it was fine. I back it out of the garage and went down the road. I got it up to third gear before I had to stop at a stop sign. I could hear it whining when I stopped. I went to go and it was the same thing. Nothing it just reved. I found out that if i turn it off just for a minute and restart it itll go until It shifts to third then it just starts to rev and u have no gears. But if I turn it off and restart it and put it in 2nd gear I could drive the whole way back to the shop??? Any ideas?? Im gona start checking solenoids tomorrow.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
I'm no good with transmissions. I just replace them when they go out, and I would never pay more than 100 bucks for a Honda auto transmission. I think if you dig harder you can find one on the cheap.