'01 Civic Ex

SISCO

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey I'm still new to import cars and am not sure what engine modifications i should start with when trying to get more power out of my '01 ex. I already have cold air intake and exhaust but other than that i only have cosmetic mods like a body kit and 17's with toyo tires. I need a plan of action for building of the engine and need some pointers on where to start

>>Eric<<

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
7th gens dont have that many options as far as i know. give it laughing gas or look around for a turbo. if you plan on keeping n/a, dont expect to hit high times, unless you port and polish that mofo and upgrade everything

other than that, welcome to the club!!!

SISCO

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah thats what i was afraid of.. I haven't seen much out there. I'm used to working on older hot rods.. just gettin my feet wet with imports.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if you want to make a fast civic, starting with a 92-95 or 96-00 is a much better platform. the mods to either of those cars are infinite

nightkids1

Old School Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by handlebarsfsr
if you want to make a fast civic, starting with a 92-95 or 96-00 is a much better platform. the mods to either of those cars are infinite
id have to disigree on that, i think you mean it would be chaeper on those generations. Because i can put a k20 that has 200 hp into my car, turbo it and have over 300 to the wheels, why you can at the best put a gsr (dont know engine code) engine with 180 (around that) into the other gens.

best bet, get rid of your d17 and get a k20, thats what i plan on doing some year when i get some money anyways.

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no, he was right the first time. it is cheaper, and easier to get parts, and the mods are infinite. sure, you can toss in a k20, which baseline is higher than any previous civic/integra, but even at that stage, there arent nearly as many internal mods as a b series motor. dont get me wrong, a 7th gen with a dc5 type r engine would be awsome, but a lot harder to do when taking cost and availability into consideration

nightkids1

Old School Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by Rice4Brains
no, he was right the first time. it is cheaper, and easier to get parts, and the mods are infinite. sure, you can toss in a k20, which baseline is higher than any previous civic/integra, but even at that stage, there arent nearly as many internal mods as a b series motor. dont get me wrong, a 7th gen with a dc5 type r engine would be awsome, but a lot harder to do when taking cost and availability into consideration
give it a few months, mugen is going to release more parts for the k20, they already have a grip out for it at the moment, and jackson racing is going to realease there supercharger soon also, there type s is putting 340 to the wheels.

but yeah i wish i had a 99 hb to drop a b18 into, way cheaper

SISCO

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What are your guys opinions, if any, on the turbo kits that turbo perfmance make for my car. Would it be better for me to just get a turbo and fabricate the header and tubing.. and if i did that what would I need to do about the fuel injection with a turbo??

nightkids1

Old School Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by Rice4Brains
the truth comes out
hehe

Originally posted by SISCO
What are your guys opinions, if any, on the turbo kits that turbo perfmance make for my car. Would it be better for me to just get a turbo and fabricate the header and tubing.. and if i did that what would I need to do about the fuel injection with a turbo??
the turbo performance kit is crap!!!!! try getting standford fabrications turbo kit, dont know there site, go on 7thgencivic and search for them

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
no i meant what i said. im not much of a fan of the 7th gens. they are heavier than the previous gens by a large margin ( a stripper dx coupe, the lightest 7th gen is 2405 lbs, about the weight of my tank of a 95 ex coupe), compared to 2098 for a eg cx or vx hatch. the higher models are even heavier, with the si hatchback coming in at a portly 2744 lbs. the rsx swap is no easier to do in a 7th gen than either an eg or ek, as i know hasport has a running ek k20a, and im pretty sure they have an eg too. also, the change from double wishbones to the much simpler mac strut in the front killed one of the best attributes of the civic, its suspension. the d17 is definitely not one of hondas best efforts either, nor was the switch to the returnless fuel system good for modding. dont take any offense, its just my $.02

nightkids1

Old School Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by handlebarsfsr
no i meant what i said. im not much of a fan of the 7th gens. they are heavier than the previous gens by a large margin ( a stripper dx coupe, the lightest 7th gen is 2405 lbs, about the weight of my tank of a 95 ex coupe), compared to 2098 for a eg cx or vx hatch. the higher models are even heavier, with the si hatchback coming in at a portly 2744 lbs. the rsx swap is no easier to do in a 7th gen than either an eg or ek, as i know hasport has a running ek k20a, and im pretty sure they have an eg too. also, the change from double wishbones to the much simpler mac strut in the front killed one of the best attributes of the civic, its suspension. the d17 is definitely not one of hondas best efforts either, nor was the switch to the returnless fuel system good for modding. dont take any offense, its just my $.02
thats why i want my k20, returnless fuel sytem is on every new car, its a new law that i think sucks. new celica's also have returnless and there fast:smile:

EXestent'l

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yea from what ive heard... DO NOT expect much over 180 hp without adding a turbo to the d17... even then after spraying AND adding a blower, good luck with 250 to the wheels... best bet: k20 or b18 engine swap... i plan on doing that in two years at college so my parents have no idea i did it. REguardless, go for a much bigger DOHC engine... and by the way the DC5 integra has about 100 times the mods as the 7th gen civics... i dunno what u mean by saying the 5th and 6th gen have infinite mods and not giving much credit to the new teg... its beautiful and plentiful.. give it another year there WILL be infinite mods

Waldo2k1

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
here's the turbo

HKS released a turbo manifold but http://www.maxrev.com has the best "complete" turbo kit out for the 01 civic but i know something better is coming shortly...

Waldo

nightkids1

Old School Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Re: here's the turbo

Originally posted by Waldo2k1
HKS released a turbo manifold but http://www.maxrev.com has the best "complete" turbo kit out for the 01 civic but i know something better is coming shortly...

Waldo
i havnt seen that one yet.

import2nr

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SF has a bad ass turbo for the 7thgens . kit rocks. pm me or im me on aim at KR4ZY K1D for details.