01' civic lx no crank,no start.

01lx Cha-Chi

Ok what's up everyone. I recently joined the civic club. (Literally) I have had the car for about a week. And had experienced no problems. Untill I stopped at the gas station. Filled up. And no crank no start.
It's a 5 speed manual. I have already taken the starter off and gotten it tested. Replaced the ground on the battery and scraped every bit of corrosion off of the terminals.
When I get in and put the key in it dings and all of the lights come on in the dash as usual. Stereo as well. When I turn the key nothing happens. No starter knock, no whine, just the slightest click if you listen carefully.

I have spent 4 or so hours scrounging the Internet trying to find an answer.

Please give me any advice available. I appreciate it.

Clayton wills

Respected
Your clutch is out of adjustment. You have to adjust your clutch pedal. My son had the same problem. The day he bought it. We were in heavy traffic and he was new to using a clutch. It was a nightmare and to long to tall about. I lost him and ended up driving all the way home, where I hooked up my car trailer map quested directions to find to find him in Oakland at 2A.M.. I lined every thing up to load up the car. I jammed the clutch pedal, as if to put it through the fire wall. It started and it was to low to drive onto the trailer, He wanted to try and drive it home and since there wasn't any heavy traffic I let him. We made it home and I was sure he had burned up the clutch, but found a link on you tube that showed me how to adjust it. If it is out of adjustment there is a sensor that is above the pedal as I remember that won't allow it to crank over. That's my best guess. Good Luck!

01lx Cha-Chi

Your clutch is out of adjustment. You have to adjust your clutch pedal. My son had the same problem. The day he bought it. We were in heavy traffic and he was new to using a clutch. It was a nightmare and to long to tall about. I lost him and ended up driving all the way home, where I hooked up my car trailer map quested directions to find to find him in Oakland at 2A.M.. I lined every thing up to load up the car. I jammed the clutch pedal, as if to put it through the fire wall. It started and it was to low to drive onto the trailer, He wanted to try and drive it home and since there wasn't any heavy traffic I let him. We made it home and I was sure he had burned up the clutch, but found a link on you tube that showed me how to adjust it. If it is out of adjustment there is a sensor that is above the pedal as I remember that won't allow it to crank over. That's my best guess. Good Luck!
Buddy I wish I could shake your hand and get you a beer. You really came through today and helped me out. And I truly appreciate it man. It wasn't the adjustment itself like you had suggested (although I'm happy I know about that now also) on the top of the clutch pedal assembly there is a plastic plug in a piece of metal that is supposed to push a sensor in. The piece of plastic had broken in mine. So. Car says no clutch, no matter how hard you press the pedal.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ah yes, clutch interlock switch. Most people fix that by gluing washers or small hex nuts where that plastic piece should be.

01lx Cha-Chi

Ah yes, clutch interlock switch. Most people fix that by gluing washers or small hex nuts where that plastic piece should be.
That seems like a good way to solve it. I just happend to do it with a dime and electric tape. Works fine for the time being.

anv2tk

Respected
just to let you know, there are 2 switches on the clutch pedal. the one you found and one more that is higher up on the pedal. this was one experience I did not like, so do yourself a favor and check that one out too. its very uncomfortable to see. I unbolted the driver seat so I could lay down somewhat comfortably.

if 1 grommet already crumbled, the other one is sure to follow ... happy finding!
:thumbs up

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That one is for the cruise so it deactivates if the pedal is pressed. That won't cause the car to not start though and isn't really a bother unless you use the cruise control.

just to let you know, there are 2 switches on the clutch pedal. the one you found and one more that is higher up on the pedal. this was one experience I did not like, so do yourself a favor and check that one out too. its very uncomfortable to see. I unbolted the driver seat so I could lay down somewhat comfortably.

if 1 grommet already crumbled, the other one is sure to follow ... happy finding!
:thumbs up

corey m sheets

Man, I wish I wouldve found your post earlier. I spent all day removing and reinstalling the starter, checking wiring and relays. Read your post, went outside looked in the floor board and saw lil pieces of degraded plastic. The plunger on the clutch arm broke off and wasnt depressing the switch. All that work and for probly a half cent piece of plastic. Thank you so much. Keeps me from losing any more of my mind. Lol.