02 Civic ex a/c only works when engine is cold?

BrotatoChip

The a/c in my 02 civic works fine when the car is first started (after sitting for a while to cool). But once the engine reaches normal running temps for a while the compressor shuts off but the a/c button is still on. I've checked the pressure in the system and it was fine. I replaced the compressor clutch relay and it didn't make a difference. Any ideas?

djarmyssg

There are a couple things that tell the A/C to shut off.. On some of the compressors there is a "Thermal Protector" that will trip like a circuit breaker if the compressor gets to hot. This will make the A/C Ligh still stay on since the power is still reaching the compressor harness. Another is a sensor underneath the driverside kick panel, its almost like a lil thermometer that senses the evaporator temp, If it gets too cold (ices over) it will shut the compessor down so it doesnt over freeze the system. Also if the condensor fan isnt kicking on when the A/C is running it will also trip the thermal protector. I built my A/C system from scratch so If u have any questions on how to check this, Hit me up!

BrotatoChip

I appreciate the reply. I was starting to think no one was gonna help lol. I know what sensor you are talking about under the driver kick panel. I have taken it out before but dont know how to test it. I read somewhere that if you don't have it all the way in the hole that the ac will be cooler but that didnt seem to help. Im starting to think it is the compressor clutch because the ac seems to stay on longer when i don't accelerate very fast or when it is cooler or raining out. Just a theory though. I don't know a whole lot about the whole system.