02 civic lx starts and runs for 3 secs and fades off to a stall

Greg Frazier

My step daughters 02 Honda Civic LX 1.6L 4-cyl will start every time to 1100RPM and runs for 3 seconds and drops off to a stall even if you hit the gas petal. I thought a fuel starvation issue like clogged filter or fuel pump not coming back on after it starts. Disconnected fuel line under intake and with mason jar had her turn on the key twice and I got a total of 1/2 cup gas. Next I put a guage on it and got 41psi. Today I removed the fuel pump relay and jumped it over to force the pump to run still did the same thing and when it died you could still hear the pump until I disconnected the jumper. Do you think IAC failure? That was where I was going next. The code reader reported code P1457 leak detected in the EVAP system. Looked it up on a Honda Forum and thay are talking about a bad Shunt Valve on canister. What do you think. I am stuck on this one. Thanks in advance... =)

Last edited:

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What was the code number?

try and find a service manual on google and youll have your answer.

Theyre out there. I just cant post one up here for legality reasons.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Please update/edit your first post to include the vehicle you are working on. Year, model trim code, engine/trans code, and any modifications.

Then post what the "code reader" reported when you scanned it.

Greg Frazier

Please update/edit your first post to include the vehicle you are working on. Year, model trim code, engine/trans code, and any modifications.

Then post what the "code reader" reported when you scanned it.
I updated the post.

Greg Frazier

Problem solved. Saw on another Honda forum that the timing belt jumped timing 1 notch. And to check if it did. Just unplug the Crankshaft sensor and if it starts and continue running then it jumped timing. This safety is built in and will post no codes. It has a cam and crank sensors. And if they get out of sync the puter will shut down the injectors after 2 secs. I tried this and the car ran for 15 mins till i shut it off.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP