'02 Coupe Mod Suggestions?

DarC_KonQuesT

Ubergeek
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey all, been a member for awhile but just lurking and leaching your knowledge 0; ) - this is my first post.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some projects for a DIY'er. I have general experiance with the mechanical side of things and a decent understanding of electrical (CS/EE major : ). Keep in mind I'm a very poor (financially, not academically ; ) college student.

Any suggestions for some horsepower gain? Or even just some mod's to make it look better (inside and out)? Preferably something you've tried and has proven to have an effect : ) I've browsed through the DIY/How-to section but I've probably missed things.

Question: Will the DIY air intake make much difference? The stock one seems to be pretty well located, as well as a decent diameter pipe.

One thing I really need to find is a tutorial to replace the rear speakers on the 7th gen. I looked forever, finally gave up and took it to a shop. But they screwed me...When I gave them my car and speakers I told them specifically to check the speaker depth to make sure they would fit before disassembling everything - but they didn't bother. Took everything apart, then called me and said "hey man.....these speakers don't fit." I went and bought some speakers that would be a closer fit because they said they'd wait, but when I got back to the shop they had already put my car back together. Even better, they required me to pay for labor before they would release my car....
O wait! It gets better. I leave their shop for a Kappa Sigma event in a town about an hour away - after 15min on the road I get a call from the guy that worked on my car saying he left his keys in my car (somehow he left them underneath the back seat...), so I get to turn around, drive back, give the whore his keys back, and go be (quite) late.

I'll probably be trying the regrounding this weekend as a starter.

Question: Does anyone have any experiance with the high end spark plugs and wires (like the two or three prong platinum plugs). This car is probably about due for some new plugs/wires (need to pull em and check) and I was wondering if they have a significant advantage over the cheap ones.

Car: 2002 Civic LX Coupe (1.7L)
-DarC

pon55

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You got no wires?He he. Hadda do it,sorry. Look at www.7thgencivic.com for a DIY on install of rear speakers. (Easy I just did it) Get an E-bay SRI-cheap-looks good, sounds good, and you moght even gain a couple of HP.

DarC_KonQuesT

Ubergeek
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
pon55 said:
You got no wires?He he. Hadda do it,sorry. Look at www.7thgencivic.com for a DIY on install of rear speakers. (Easy I just did it) Get an E-bay SRI-cheap-looks good, sounds good, and you moght even gain a couple of HP.
Wireless wires, have you not heard of them? ;)

I ordered a SRI yesterday afternoon off eBay (from "optionracing" - didn't see the name on the eBay list). Thanks for the speaker DIY link, I've browsed 7thgencivic.com before but obviously missed it : P

Looks like I've got my weekend projects lined up :thumbs up
Thanks,
-DarC

EDIT: Correction, I typed CAI for some reason....but I ordered a SRI.

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Clear out the amber in your headlamps. That's pretty ez and there are a lot of DIY's in here on it.

DarC_KonQuesT

Ubergeek
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
96greencivic said:
Clear out the amber in your headlamps. That's pretty ez and there are a lot of DIY's in here on it.
Printed and planned for this weekend :thumbs up

Anyone know where I can find a listing of laws that govern car mods (specifically lighting). I was considering sidemarkers, or maybe something more ricey (if it looks good that is ; ) but I don't want to mod something out then get pulled over and ticketed the next week.

Note: I'm in Arkansas, US - but any site that gives laws for any state would be helpful.
Thanks,
-DarC

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
DarC_KonQuesT said:

Anyone know where I can find a listing of laws that govern car mods (specifically lighting). I was considering sidemarkers, or maybe something more ricey (if it looks good that is ; ) but I don't want to mod something out then get pulled over and ticketed the next week.

Note: I'm in Arkansas, US - but any site that gives laws for any state would be helpful.
Thanks,
-DarC
just do a search on google for the Akansas legislature site.. and look in statutes for headlights or headlamps... and turn signals.. stuff like that..

Machinehead115

Team Four Door
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
DarC_KonQuesT said:

Thanks,
-DarC
I just e-mailed my local DPS and they responed with in a few days...

DarC_KonQuesT

Ubergeek
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
joe7987 said:
just do a search on google for the Akansas legislature site.. and look in statutes for headlights or headlamps... and turn signals.. stuff like that..
Tried that - failed miserably (my state's websites blow...). But I'll dig a deeper.

Macinehead115 said:
I just e-mailed my local DPS and they responed with in a few days...
I'll probably try this...or drop by the DMV and ask if they can point me in the right direction.
Thanks,
-DarC

VTECSOHC02

On The Raod To Twin Turbo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1st DIY: headlights. Very easy!!! I cleared mine and painted them graphite. Also I replace the stock 7443 turn bulbs with a 7440 amber, chrome coated bulb. With the 7440 it only flashes. Does not light up when you turn your parking lights on like the 7443. You could also replace your turn signal relay with a Hyper Blinker relay. This just speeds up the flashes. Go to www.hyperblinker.com for this. I also replace my 168 driving lights with a white 4 led bulb. Looks real mean at night. You can also paint your stock tail lights. Now this isn't my car i the pic with the painted tails but I do like them!!!
2nd DIY: paint the interior. I painted the door handles, not the levers that you pull. I painted the gauge visor also. I went with a silver paint to match the metal trim I bought from honda. You can paint those areas also.
3rd DIY: Replace the stock shift knob, e-brake handle and boots. I replace my shift knob with a MoMo. MoMo is a little more $$$ but you can find a nice cheap one on e-bay. I also replaced the e-brake handle with a cheap e-bay silver "type-r" handle. Replacing the boots is easy also. I put real black leather w/ silver stiching. Nice clean look. Go to this site for the boots: http://www.jujeracing.com/ha.htm
4th DIY: replace the gauges. Once agian e-bay for this. Make sure you buy the right transmisson (MT= manual, AT=auto) and model (ie, EX, LX, SI...). You can also go to: http://www.speedhut.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1 for custom gauges.
5th DIY: Paint under the hood. Your fuse cover, VTEC wire covers, battery cover and tie down and so on. Don't go to extreme. You don't want to paint everything under the hood.
For the rear speaker go to www.crutchfield.com and you'll get all the measurements you need for car audio and they will also show you what will fit in your car. Hope this helps!!!
Alright I've included some pics. I have to e-mail you the pic of the shift knob, e-brake handle and boots if you want it.
BTW: I have split fire plugs and like them. Also change your oil to Royal Purple. Give extra hp and last a little longer. Also there is a DIY at 7thgencivic.com about grounding. I haven't done it but sure it help free up some extra hp. Just remember that with out dropping some $$$ your not going to see/feel real hp gains.

DarC_KonQuesT

Ubergeek
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1) What kind of paint did you use on the interior? Don't want to do something and it rub off in a month because I picked shisty paint : P

2) Same with taillights - you said they weren't yours, but any ideas? I agree, they look tight as hell. They look like they're painted on the outside of the lights right? ...suppose that's a stupid question since if it was internal you'd be seeing the black paint through the red lens, outside it is. What kind of paint will give you that glossy, reflective shine that matches your body paint?

3) Can you get a different shift handle for an automagic shifter?

Hell, I can probably find the answers to those first two questions on this site in a few minutes, but I have to go to class right now : P
I'll search for them when I get back if no one's answered them yet.
Thanks,
-DarC