'04 Civic LX, Possibly bad clutch master cylinder?

jackdog1

So I was checking fluids on my parent's civic and noticed that the fluid in the clutch master cylinder reservoir is grey and opaque, and a bit low (1/3-1/4 of the way between Min and Max). They haven't had any problems except for a very annoying squeak from the clutch pedal. Is there a chance that something is wrong with the master cylinder that would cause both the noise and the discoloration?

luizzeross

So I was checking fluids on my parent's civic and noticed that the fluid in the clutch master cylinder reservoir is grey and opaque, and a bit low (1/3-1/4 of the way between Min and Max). They haven't had any problems except for a very annoying squeak from the clutch pedal. Is there a chance that something is wrong with the master cylinder that would cause both the noise and the discoloration?
Hey, how did you addressed this issue? My 2005 LX clutch pedal started to make a lot of noise two weeks ago. I lubed almost anything I could think of, but with no result.

luizzeross

Try greasing the contact point between the slave cylinder and clutch fork.
The noise is not coming from the slave cylinder. I had this issue in the past, but it solved itself after passing with the car in a street flooded with water (I swear I'll never do this again :|).

I recorded it inside the car, it's coming from the firewall.

luizzeross

Could be the pedal itself or the master cylinder. Can you pinpoint?
Well, I got myself below the dash a few times already, but couldn't pinpoint the location of the sound. This morning I had my pal pressing it while I was checking at the engine bay, the sound comes from the firewall too, but louder than inside. I tried feeling the pedal mounting inside the car with my fingers to guess the location, I can "feel" the clunks, but it seens to vibrate less while touching the cylinder or it's stick, what made me think it's the pedal itself. I googled for people having this issue, but almost all of them had the slave cylinder lube thing , not this one.

luizzeross

Solved! The problem was the cylinder mounting bolt, the lower one, as shown in the picture below. It was too tight. I loosened the nut (it was HARD), then tightened it again with less torque. The noise is completely gone away. I'll keep an eye on it.