'05 Civic making scraping noises

Albert.harkema42

Hey Everyone,

If someone could help me out on this I'd really appreciate it! My 2005 Civic SI coupe is making strange scraping noises while in motion. It sounds like metal on metal contact and seems to be coming from under the hood. It comes and goes and only happens while the car is in motion. Whether the gas is down or the clutch is in makes no difference. Reving doesn't make a difference either. The second the brake is suppressed even the smallest amount the sound goes away. Doesn't seem to be coming from a specific side of the car, so I don't think it's the brake pads.. but I guess it could be. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Visually inspect your brake components. "Metal on metal" is far too vague of a description as it could be any number of sounds. Is it consistent, fluttering, tapping, clicking? What do you mean "suppress" the brake? Did you mean pressing down the pedal? Are you sure none of the brake components are loose? If its only occurring when in motion then it must be happening at one of the wheels.

Albert.harkema42

It is not consistent. Fluttering is probably a good way to describe it. By suppress I mean pressing down on the pedal. The sound will go away before I feel the car decelerate at all. Even the slightest touch on the brake will stop the sound. I'll check out the components and make sure they're not loose as well. Thanks a lot for your help!