$1500 to spend

2002silverex

5+ Year Member
Hey I just recently picked up a 1999 civic si.

Its got suspension and brake upgrades... pretty nice
It has I/H/E all else is bone stock.

Ive got $1500 to spend, and want to do some upgrades to the engine. I dont want anything to wild, being its my dailydrvier... but when i get out of my 05 rsx-s and into this civic...i end up beating on it, wondering where the rest of the power is... haha

So ive got a couple options.

Found a used Jackson Racing supercharger, mint condition $900
+ Clutch+ Flywheel = $600
=$1500

Or...should I go with this setup:
Skunk2 IM
Skunk2 Cams
Skuns2 Springs/Retainers
Skunk2 Valves
Clutch/Flywheel
I think I can get that setup some new some udes for around $1500 as well.

Obviously the superchager would be easier to just bolt on and go... but would that skunk2 setup be anywhere near as good powerwise?

Thanks

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
CTR or ITR internals

2002silverex

5+ Year Member
I forgot to add I could also get a set of brand new ctr pistons...real cheap.

god i love this site...my questions are responded too in seconds!!!

really appreicate it guys!

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'd personally do a turbo setup on the b16. You can go with a smaller turbo for better daily driving.

I mean you don't have to go with the best name brand stuff, get a nice turbo, nice manifold and then you can go with cheaper front mount intecooler, wastegate, bov and upgrade later on.

I drove a d16 boosted on 10psi lastnight and I'd rather drive that then my all motor ls/vtec.

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I'd personally do a turbo setup on the b16. You can go with a smaller turbo for better daily driving.

I mean you don't have to go with the best name brand stuff, get a nice turbo, nice manifold and then you can go with cheaper front mount intecooler, wastegate, bov and upgrade later on.

I drove a d16 boosted on 10psi lastnight and I'd rather drive that then my all motor ls/vtec.
agreed

if your wanting more power as a DD i would turbo it....upgrading internals will only make it stronger....not really much more power.....

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
agreed

if your wanting more power as a DD i would turbo it....upgrading internals will only make it stronger....not really much more power.....
CTR/ITR internals will add power, will be higher compression, cams are better.

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
true....idk its up to him really

but adding those internals will only give him how much hp compared to a turbo running 10 psi?

ryan89crx

Spoolin single cam!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
adding a turbo sacrifices reliability, not something everyone is wiling to risk on their DD.

slap on I/H/E and lower it, call it good

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
go with the supercharger. but your gonna need more money or get a better deal on the parts. you cant just toss a supercharger on and call it a day. you need injectors to support it and a tune. which means a chipped ECU and or an OBD change.

2002silverex

5+ Year Member
For the $950 it comes with the injectors, fpr, fmu, ect... it comes with everything, and im going to install it myself.

I'll just need a tune.

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
what kinda header does it have? Good headers compliment Superchargers very well.

zach246

2 gsr hatches
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thats gonna put a lot of pressure on the cylinders, you should about getting some forged internals for the block