$197 parts/labor to install belts and tensioner pulley?

Kloan

5+ Year Member
Does $197 all in to change 2 belts (I'm providing the alternator belt) and a/c tensioner pulley sound reasonable to you guys?

EDIT: Ok, well a quick search on eBay gave me $48 for the tensioner and $27 for 3 belts. They quoted me $70/hr for 1 hour, so already that's $145 vs $197.

I'd love to find a better shop....

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
do it yourself. grab a jack, 10 12 and 14mm about an hour or so and your on your way...its really not hard to do shops overcharge for the dumbest things

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
do it yourself. grab a jack, 10 12 and 14mm about an hour or so and your on your way...its really not hard to do shops overcharge for the dumbest things
:word: and it's good to have a mechanic friend to help you out too :D

Kloan

5+ Year Member
ya, i do.. he lives in Douro, ON Canada.... =)

know anyone in my area? lol

stealthex

stealthex
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
do a little research (google or grab urself a hanes manual)a set of wrenches and a can of pb blast...u will b amazed on the money u save

stealthex

stealthex
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just an fyi most shops unless u know some one you are gonna get charged more for parts so not only are u paying for labor u also paying an additional 20% at least on parts from what they pay and u will alway get upsold!!! im not saying its a bad thing cause u know to each there own. i know a few shop owners and u know what they have familys too its just a way a busness is ran, but with a little reserch and time u can save yourself a whole bunch of money...not tellng u to rebuild your engine but typical mat. oil changes brakes belts hoses ext...in these times everyones gotta learn to save a little...just giving yourself something to think about!

Kloan

5+ Year Member
yeah, like i said im just uncomfortable crawling under a car.. but i'm gonna give it another shot. i have to find some way of getting the car up higher so i actually have room.

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
idk wat yr your doing... but on any car.. those belts are pretty much self explanatory.. theres a bracket that give the belt more/less slack... you loosen that.. and take it off.. you pry it w something to make it tight... tighten the bolt... its very straight forward...

i say you can do it man.. and grab someone to do it w you for moral support.

Kloan

5+ Year Member
dont know anyone here... im from canada

anyway, im gonna try again tomorrow for the shifter... and if all goes well when i get my tensioner and belts in the mail, i'll give that a shot as well.